Share this article

print logo


>Two women attacked, robbed of phone, cash

Two women were beaten up and robbed about 5:30 a.m. Saturday on Germain Street, near Amherst and Grant streets, Buffalo police said.

Police said a 34-year-old woman was getting out of her vehicle when she was jumped by three people and knocked to the ground. The assailants took $220 and her cell phone, police added.

Her friend tried to intervene, but she was punched in the face and kicked in the ribs, police said.

The attackers fled in a 2004 gray Hyundai Sonata.


>Victim of shooting fights for life in ECMC

Buffalo police are investigating a shooting Saturday in the Kensington-Fillmore neighborhood that left one man injured and another fighting for his life.

Omar Walker, 32, no address available, was listed in critical condition in Erie County Medical Center Saturday night, said Michael J. DeGeorge, police spokesman.

The other victim, Alfred Mack, 55, suffered a minor wound to one of his legs, DeGeorge said.

Walker and Mack were standing near Fillmore and Dewey avenues about noon Saturday when the gunman opened fire, striking Walker several times. Walker was taken to ECMC by a passer-by, DeGeorge said.

Homicide detectives are investigating. Anyone with information is asked to call the confidential tip line at 847-2255.


>Torching bee's nest leads to ruin of shed

PENDLETON -- A homeowner trying to burn a bee's nest in his backyard storage shed ended up burning the outbuilding to the ground, Niagara County sheriff's deputies said Saturday.

The Wendelville Fire Company responded to 6018 Campbell Blvd. shortly after midnight to extinguish the fire. The owner was tarring the roof of the shed when he decided to address the issue of the bee's nest, authorities said. However, the shed caught fire, which escalated out of control. A damage estimate was unavailable.
Standoff at motel
ends in man's arrest

NIAGARA FALLS -- Police arrested a man at the Pelican Motel, 6817 Niagara Falls Blvd., late Saturday after receiving a report of a man with a gun inside one of the rooms.

A police spokesman said no shots were fired and the brief standoff ended without incident just before 10:30 p.m. It was not immediately clear whether the suspect had been armed at the time of his arrest. Further information was unavailable.


>Thieves target family that suffered homicide

A Hirschbeck Street family that lost a family member in a double slaying last August fell victim to crime again, Buffalo police said Friday.

Police said copper pipes were stolen from two vacant properties on Hirschbeck owned by the Lovetts. Both properties had been vacant since last August.

On Aug. 5, Joseph "Joey" Lovett, 25, and Jamie Norton, 19, were fatally shot and three others were wounded on Hirschbeck in what police said was a robbery gone bad. Family members insisted Norton was targeted because of her testimony in a murder case.


>Texas Street woman tied to identity theft

A Texas Street woman was charged with forgery, identity theft and possession of stolen property for using a stolen credit card to make purchases in the Clarence area, state police said Friday.

Alissa K. Jagielo, 27, is expected to appear in court March 30 to answer to the three felony charges.


>Abandoned warehouse hit by suspicious fire

DUNKIRK -- Fire officials are investigating a suspicious fire Saturday afternoon in an abandoned warehouse on South Roberts Road.

Firefighters were called at 4:36 p.m. to the former Edgewood Warehouse site at 320 South Roberts Road, where smoke was coming from the building. Firefighters found a pickup and debris on fire in the warehouse and quickly extinguished the blaze before it spread.

The 165,000-square-foot warehouse is part of an inactive industrial park. Heavy industrial and commercial use of the site began in 1909 with the manufacturing of locomotives, military equipment, stainless steel and wood products.

There are no comments - be the first to comment