Share this article

print logo

Speeding car hit woman, witness says

Ae witness to Thursday afternoon's crash that cost a 30-year-old East Amherst mother one of her legs said the first Buffalo police officer at the scene told him he'd just pulled over the same driver for speeding only minutes earlier.

Peter Taboni told The News that he was walking to work at a nearby South Buffalo pizza shop at about 2:20 p.m. and was only feet away from Sarah Gregory when she was struck by a car and pinned against a parked minivan.

The crash occurred in the 2300 block of South Park Avenue.

Taboni said Gregory was standing in front of the Burger King restaurant and was on her way back to her job at Sorrento Cheese.

"She stepped one foot off the sidewalk. She looked toward the right southbound to see if anyone was coming, then she turned around and looked to the left and 'bam,' " Taboni said. "I haven't slept in 36 hours. I keep playing it in my mind."

Taboni said there was a prolonged screech of the tires of the white sedan just prior to its striking Gregory, pinning her against a greenish minivan, and then reversing course.

"She kept screaming, 'My baby, my baby, my baby,' " said Taboni.

Then, the screaming stopped and Gregory, the mother to a 1-month-old infant, was unresponsive.

"I thought she bled to death," he said. "She was awake until she passed out because of shock."

A good Samaritan came rushing to Gregory's aid, Taboni said, took off his belt and used it as a makeshift tourniquet to stanch the bleeding.

Taboni said the white sedan that struck Gregory appeared to be traveling above the speed limit and was right up against the curb.

The name of the driver has yet to be released, police said. Charges are pending an investigation, according to Michael J. DeGeorge, police spokesman.

Taboni said the first Buffalo police officer, upon arriving at the scene, uttered: "Oh man, I just pulled over this guy for speeding 10 minutes ago and told him to slow down."

DeGeorge said he was unaware of any such statement made by the officer.
Gregory was taken to Erie County Medical Center, where she was listed in serious but stable condition Saturday.


There are no comments - be the first to comment