Can't find a race this weekend? You obviously aren't trying. The schedule is simply jammed.
The action starts on Friday, with a pair of new races. The First Responders Memorial 5K will be at Como Park at 6:30 p.m. At the same time the Diner Dash will start at 875 Elmwood Ave. and more or less follow the Subaru course.
Then there are plenty of more races:
* Coach Capuani Cross-Country Kickoff Run, at Frontier High School in Hamburg, at 9 a.m. Saturday.
* Peach Festival 5K in Lewiston at 9 a.m. Saturday.
* The Harris Pihl Memorial 5K at the Chautauqua Institution at 9 a.m. Saturday.
* The Laughlin's Road Race in downtown Buffalo at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Brownie points go to this race for not raising the price on race day.
* The Derby Fair 5K starts at 10 a.m Saturday in Derby.
* The Seneca Nation Fall Festival 5K in Irving at 9 a.m. Sunday.
* The new Dash for Dad 5K, goes off from Lincoln Parkway in Buffalo at 10 a.m. Sunday.
And that doesn't mention the marathons on Erie and Rochester on Sunday. Check out details at buffalorunners.com.
Meanwhile, I heard some good things about the Fleet Feet 15K on Labor Day. The course in particular got good reviews for its new journey along the waterfront. And the quality of the field was excellent. Let's hope the USATF brings the masters championship back here in years to come.
--- Budd Bailey