Share this article

print logo

Kendall to Gillen gives Depew a title Six champs crowned on Super Sunday

Pat Gillen scored the winning goal to lift No. 1 Depew to a 4-3 win over No. 2 Cheektowaga in the Western New York Club League's small school final during Super Sunday XXV hockey games at HSBC Arena.

In other results, Cleveland Hill/JFK edged Eden/Lake Shore, 3-2, in the Southtowns Hockey League Potter Division contest. Iroquois/Alden downed Canisius, 4-1, in the Southtowns McAndrews Division final.

Hutch-Tech beat McKinley, 4-2, to win the Buffalo Explorer League title. City Honors/O'Hara defeated Dunkirk/Fredonia, 3-2, in double overtime in the Western New York Club League's Mixed Division and North Tonawanda routed Grand Island, 6-2, in the Club large school final.

Sunday's six games drew a total of 3,053.
WNY SMALL: With the game tied, 3-3, with 1:14 left in regulation, Chris Kendall skated out from the right corner and while fighting off two Cheektowaga defensemen, passed the puck out front to a waiting Gillen, who buried the championship-winning goal while all alone in the slot.

"Chris is a big contributor and when he occupies three or four guys on the other team who are drawn to him, it opens up space for the rest of us," said Gillen. "He does the pretty stuff. We've scored a lot of goals this season in the same way. When I saw him coming out of the corner, I knew I had to get to the front."

Depew defensemen Jim Leair executed a major buzzer-beater at the expense of Warriors defensemen Tyler Rudick in the first period. Rudick lost the puck to Leair who fired it into the net before the horn sounded.

Depew scored short-handed early in the second period to make it 2-0 as Dan Gorski buried a rebound to the right of Cheektowaga goalie Anthony Auld. Rudick got the Warriors on the board with a shot from the top of left faceoff circle to make it 2-1.

Cheektowaga tied the game in the third period on a two-player effort. Josh Burgett came across the Warriors' blue line and was pulled down, forcing a delayed penalty. As Burgett was sliding on his chest he swiped the puck to Tom Mahoney in the slot for the goal.

Dan Giumpa, Depew's leading regular-season scorer, ripped the puck into the top of the net to give his team a very short-lived 3-2 advantage. Seven seconds later, Mike Gress connected for the Warriors to make it 3-3 with 2:58 left in regulation. Rudick and Gillen were the game's MVPs.
WNY MIXED: City Honors/O'Hara defensemen T.J Jones rocketed a shot from the left sideboards past Dunkirk/Fredonia goalie Nick Caccamise 1:05 into the second OT to lift the Centaurs to a dramatic victory.

City Honors/O'Hara built a 2-0 lead on goals by David Dvorak and Matt Cieslik but Dunkirk/Fredonia rallied to tie with two goals from Jeffrey Carlson.

Carlson's second tally came with 1:33 left in regulation. City Honors/O'Hara goalie Conor Hurley earned his team's game MVP honors with 45 saves. Carlson was MVP for his team.

"It was crazy and it was intense," said Jones. "I always wanted to be at Super Sunday. I always wanted to win. I never ever thought I would get an overtime game-winner."

EXPLORER: Cory Krawczyk scored just three minutes into the game to give Hutch-Tech a 1-0 lead but four minutes later Mark Battaglia netted the equalizer for McKinley.

Battaglia struck again midway through the second period when the senior forward uncorked a slap shot from the top of the left faceoff circle that deflected into the net off of the leg of a Hutch-Tech defenseman to give McKinley a 2-1 advantage.

Hutch-Tech tied the game early in the third period when Jowad Hussein stole the puck in the McKinley end and took a quick wrist shot from the right faceoff circle that bounced in off goalie Michael Thurston.

Mike Bienias scored the game-winner by completing a strong rush, cutting in front of the McKinley goal and scoring from 2 feet out to give Hutch-Tech a 3-2 lead with 6:33 left in regulation. Lyle Nowak added an empty-net goal.

"My defenseman [Nowak] gave me one of the greatest passes I could ever ask for," said Bienias. "I just took it in, seen that the 'D' was too wide apart and skated right through."

Bienias and Battaglia earned game MVP honors.

POTTER: Cleveland Hill/JFK opened the scoring on an early goal from forward Chris Zak, who buried a shot from the low slot after receiving a nice pass from defenseman Kyle Gulczewski.

The Highlanders jumped to a 2-0 advantage on a power-play tally from Brandon Reynolds with just under seven minutes remaining in the opening period.

Highlanders goalie Mitchell Simons made a few big saves in the first two periods and two Eden/Lake Shore shots also rang off the goal posts. Late in the second, Zak got his second goal in a goalmouth scramble. Teammate Nicholas Matecki started the scoring play by firing a shot on a breakaway after exiting the penalty box.

Ryan Sheehan scored on the power play for Eden/Lake Shore with just over two minutes remaining in the second to narrow the gap to 3-1. Sheehan rifled in his own rebound with 5:44 left in the third to make it 3-2.
Zak and Sheehan were named MVPs.
McANDREWS: After a scoreless first period, Iroquois/Alden's Doug Takac scored a short-handed goal on a breakaway, slipping the puck through the pads of Canisius netminder Joshua Li Puma with 12:14 left in the second period.

Alexander Kaempf tied the game on a solo rush for Canisius by splitting the Chiefs' defense and beating goalie Derek Garigen with 7:55 left in the second. The Chiefs responded as Kyle Hartman blistered a high slot slap shot through traffic to give his team a 2-1 advantage with just 35 seconds left in the middle period.

Defensemen Matt Szczerbiak slipped the puck inside of the left goal post on the power play midway through the third period to extend the Chiefs' lead to 3-1. Li Puma kept the Crusaders in the game in the late stages, but Tony Pellittieri scored a short-handed empty-net goal with 12 seconds left, as the Chiefs successfully defended their Super Sunday championship of a year ago.

Both goalies were their team's MVPs.

WNY LARGE: Dmitri Novik opened the scoring in the first period for North Tonawanda. Darren Godfrey scored twice and Matt Malley also scored to make it 4-0 before the end of the period.

Grand Island's Ed Weiser got his first of two goals in the opening seconds of the second period to cut the lead to 4-1. Todd Lyness tallied short-handed to up the count to 5-1 with 7:20 left in the second period. Malley struck again before the end of the period and the rout was on.


There are no comments - be the first to comment