Crash into tractor-trailer kills East Aurora man
BENNINGTON -- An East Aurora man was killed Friday when he lost control of his car on Route 77 and crashed into an oncoming tractor-trailer, Wyoming County sheriff's officials said.
The victim was identified Saturday as David C. Colvin, 31, of East Main Street. There were no passengers in his car.
Investigators said Colvin was traveling south on Route 77 at about 12:22 p.m., when he lost control of his vehicle, crossed into the northbound lane and into the path of a tractor-trailer.
The truck operator, Jay Barvain, 39, of North Java, who was driving for Shur-Gain Co. in Strykersville, was not injured in the crash.
The incident is under investigation. No charges have been filed.
Constable saves lives of two in house fire
WELLAND, Ont. -- Quick action by a Niagara Regional Police Service constable saved the lives of two elderly people on Simpson Avenue.
Constable J. Levasseur was on patrol shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday when he noticed black smoke coming from the rear of a house.
Levasseur and a passer-by saw that the back of the house was engulfed in flames. The constable went in through the front door and found an elderly woman, who was unaware her house was on fire. The officer found her husband asleep in a second-floor bedroom. The fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage.
2 Jamestown men face manslaughter charges
JAMESTOWN -- Two city men were arrested on manslaughter charges stemming from an assault last Aug. 19 that later led to the death of another Jamestown man, Jack Zerby.
Arrested and charged with first- and second-degree manslaughter were Paul B. Miller, 30, and Lyndon Raynor, 29.
Lt. Todd Isaacson, commander of the Police Department's investigation section, said the two men assaulted Zerby at 106 Stowe St. He said Zerby died from his injuries on Aug. 31.
After the Erie County medical examiner's office ruled his death a homicide, the case was presented to the Chautauqua County grand jury.
Careless smoking blamed for fire in Amherst home
Carelessly discarded smoking material sparked a fire that broke out late Friday night at a house on Alberta Drive in Amherst, causing $80,000 in damage, town fire control officials said.
None of the occupants was injured, but one firefighter suffered minor injuries and was able to stay on the scene. The fire at the single-family ranch house was reported at 11:09 p.m.
Firefighters from Eggertsville Hose Company were assisted by members of the Snyder Fire Department. The fire, believed to have started in a bedroom, was brought under control at 11:26 p.m.
The Alberta fire was the second Amherst blaze in less than a day caused by careless smoking.
On Friday morning, a smoking-related fire caused $40,000 damage to a house on Glenhaven Drive.