This is it -- one week until the postseason.
Throughout the year, 10 voters will rate Western New York's best teams from 1 to 10 in the large and small school polls.
The News has one vote in each poll, which are published in the Sidelines each Tuesday in The News' Scholastic Spotlight. Here's The
News' ballot for the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth polls.
The poll has now been administered niiiiiiiine times:
1. Niagara Falls (19-0) [last week: 1] -- Great job by classy Matt Kenseth winning the Great American Race. Whoops! Wrong beat!
2. Nichols (21-1)  -- Oustanding showing at Primetime Shootout. Another prime time game on Friday as they help close Canisius' auditiorium.
3. East (16-2)  -- I said I'd move the Panthers up a spot
if they kept playing well -- but I don't think anyone expected such a
big blowout of McKinley. Very, very impressive. Get to Grover early for
Friday's Yale Cup Game of the Year..
4. Sweet Home (17-1)  -- Move down is nothing against them, it's all about East.
5. Williamsville North (19-1)  -- Eyebrow-raisers, schmeyebrow-raisers: North 88, Lancaster 57.
6. Jamestown (16-4)  --Things seem to be coming together at the right time down there..
7. McKinley (14-4)  -- We're keeping them here as a nod to East's strength. But very disappointed in the margin.
8. Canisius (15-8)  -- Handle St. Joe's and here comes Nichols in the auditorium Friday.
9. Grover Cleveland (15-3)  -- They started the season
around No. 3 -- Presidents are talented enough that they could get back
there eventually, especially if they win Friday.
10. Middle College (14-4) [NR] -- Big man helps them to surprising win over Riverside. A-1 will be a doozy.
1. Olean (14-4)  -- They keep answering every CCAA I call -- will they be able to do that next week?
2. East Aurora (14-5)  -- Twenty-nine-point win over Pioneer. They're ready for the playoffs.
3. Akron (15-3)  -- Rewarded for continuing their strong
play with an excellent win at an excellent event
(Niagara-Orleans/Genesee Region Showdown).
4. St. Mary's (13-7)  -- Knocked down a peg for St. Joe's loss and a close call with Cheektowaga, combined with Akron's very nice win..
5. Medina (14-4)  -- Another N-O team with a good tuneup win (not to mention part of a nice N-O and Section VI showing at the event).
6. Lackawanna (11-6)  -- The enigma of WNY hoops loses big to Batavia. They've got to do better than that, but Batavia is a good team. See? An enigma. Steelers host Alden Wednesday.
7. Randolph (16-2)  -- Nice win over Westfield makes them a clear C favorite, one which I considered moving up one more spot.
8. Alden (16-3)  -- See you at Lackawanna Wednesday.
9. Maple Grove (16-3)  -- Red Dragons bully Clymer. Looks like they can make regional travel plans for Brockport State.
(12-6)  -- Anyone out there think Medina would sweep these guys?
Still a good team, and you never know what happens in the playoffs (ask
last year's terrific Newfane team).
Don't like what you're reading here, or in the overall poll? The
comments section is below. Or join me in a live chat here Wednesday
night at 10 p.m.