Share this article

print logo

High bail set in triple-shooting case

A City Court judge Tuesday more than doubled bail for a 34-year-old city man accused of shooting two police officers and stabbing and shooting the mother of his two children.

Adam J. Hamilton, who police said also was wounded in the early morning shootout on South Avenue earlier this month, has been released from Erie County Medical Center and is now in the Niagara County Jail.

Hamilton's bail was increased as Officer Walter Nichols Jr., an 18-year veteran of the Niagara Falls Police Department, was released Tuesday from ECMC, where he underwent surgery to remove shotgun pellets from near his heart and stomach shortly after the incident.

Police have said Hamilton shot Nichols and Officer Michael D. Bird with a 12-gauge shotgun as they responded to a domestic violence call at about 1:15 a.m. Feb. 7.

Police have charged Hamilton with the shootings, and also with stabbing and shooting Stephanie C. Turk, 27, the mother of his two sons, before officers arrived on the scene.

City Court Judge Angelo J. Morinello increased Hamilton's bail to $500,000 cash or $1 million bond. Bail had been set at $200,000 cash or a $400,000 bond.

Hamilton has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree attempted murder and one count of second-degree attempted murder.

He was out on bail on charges of third-degree assault and unlawful imprisonment when the shooting occurred. According to court records, Hamilton was accused of punching Turk on Jan. 20 and refusing to let her leave the 22nd Street apartment they had shared.

At the time, Turk told police she was staying with her mother because of trouble in her relationship with Hamilton and had returned to the apartment to get some of her belongings.

Turk told police that she signaled for help to her sister, who was waiting in a car outside, by pulling down the living room blinds during the Jan. 20 incident.

Morinello Tuesday also raised the bail for the assault charge, from $1,500 to $10,000.

Hamilton was waiting for Turk on Feb. 7 at the South Avenue home where she was staying, police said, and arrived there armed with the shotgun, a .22-caliber rifle, a knife and handcuffs.

He told police at ECMC after the shooting that he got the guns from "his old home" and that he did not know who owned them, according to court records.

Hamilton told investigators he wanted to marry Turk "to give her a better life," but when she left him he "could not take it anymore," court records said.

Turk, who was stabbed in the stomach and shot in the head, is still in ECMC, but has been moved out of intensive care.

Bird, who remains on leave, still has a shotgun pellet lodged in his face and is seeking medical treatment for it, Police Superintendent John R. Chella said.

Hamilton is scheduled to appear again in City Court on Feb. 27.


There are no comments - be the first to comment