Share this article

print logo


>Arraignments set in assault, DWI cases

LITTLE VALLEY -- Arraignments have been set for Feb. 23 in Cattaraugus County Court for two people named in grand jury indictments handed up Thursday to Judge Larry M. Himelein.

Chad D. Marino, 16, of Jamestown was indicted on a charge of second-degree assault. The attack occurred Aug. 14 in South Valley, where someone was seriously injured, authorities said.

Jason T. Ely, 33, of Delevan was indicted on charges of driving while intoxicated, unauthorized stop on pavement and having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. He was arrested Sept. 21 in Yorkshire, authorities said.


>Sentencing set for driver whose wife died in crash

LITTLE VALLEY -- Sentencing has been scheduled for May 18 for a Bradford, Pa., man who pleaded guilty Thursday in Cattaraugus Court to second-degree vehicular manslaughter in the death of his wife.

Lanny C. Holly, 56, entered the plea before Judge Larry M. Himelein. Holly was indicted in September on charges of driving while intoxicated, second-degree manslaughter, second-degree vehicular manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.

Court records show the crash occurred Nov. 9, 2007, on Route 219 in the Town of Carrollton, where Holly's vehicle went off the road, dragging a guide rail, striking a tree and bursting into flames. Holly managed to climb out of the vehicle to safety, but his wife, Carol D. Holly, 53, died.

District Attorney Edward Sharkey said the two were returning from Seneca Allegany Casino in Salamanca, and Holly had registered a blood-alcohol count of .11 percent, higher than the legal limit.

In another case, a Randolph man was sentenced this week by Himelein for the theft of a 500-pound brass bell from a Girl Scout camp. Travis R. Lundberg, 20, was sentenced to serve two concurrent sentences of one year each in the county jail and pay $2,900 restitution for his guilty pleas to third-degree burglary and third-degree attempted criminal possession of stolen property in the summer of 2007.

The 500-pound bell was taken from Camp Timbercrest in the Town of Randolph. Police said the bell was sold as scrap metal and destroyed.

There are no comments - be the first to comment