Share this article

print logo


>Cause of house fire in Hamburg investigated

Authorities are investigating what sparked a house fire in the Village of Hamburg on Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters from the Hamburg Volunteer Fire Department were called at about 3:15 p.m. to extinguish the blaze at 257 Charlotte Ave.

The house was unoccupied at the time but is next to Charlotte Avenue Elementary School, where some children were playing Sunday afternoon and spotted the fire, said Fire Chief Brian Horwood.

"Some kids saw smoke coming from the house and found an adult who called," Horwood said.

The fire does not appear to be suspicious. Horwood pegged the damage at about $90,000.

"There was pretty extensive damage to the second floor," he said.

No injuries were reported. Firefighters rescued the family cat.

The homeowner recently returned home from Iraq, Horwood said. He and his family were getting help from relatives, he added.

There are no comments - be the first to comment