Share this article

print logo


Truck rolls over, blocks part of I-190 in Falls

TOWN OF NIAGARA -- A rollover accident near the Porter Road exit of the I-190 closed a portion of the highway Monday afternoon.

State Police reported that a truck overturned just south of Exit 23 shortly before 3 p.m. The driver injured his arm, police said.

Traffic was limited to one lane near the exit for more than an hour after the accident.


Lockport man denies charges in break-in

LOCKPORT -- A South Transit Street man pleaded not guilty to three counts Monday in Niagara County Court.

Terrence L. Hokes, 36, is charged with second-degree burglary, petit larceny and fourth-degree criminal mischief.

He is accused of entering a Grant Street home Feb. 5 and stealing a bag containing $400, police reported at the time. The resident told police he found Hokes behind his home.
In another arraignment Monday, Willie K. Parker, 24, of Phyllis Avenue, Buffalo, pleaded not guilty to charges of third- and fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.

He is charged with planning to sell 1.53 grams of cocaine in Wilson on Dec. 14.


Teen tied to killing gets youthful-offender status

LOCKPORT -- A youth who said he stood and watched as three other man nearly beat a Niagara Falls man to death in his home last year was granted youthful-offender status Monday by Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza, sealing his sentence on two misdemeanors.

Joseph P. Markel, 17, of Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls, had pleaded guilty to second-degree criminal trespass and petit larceny. He admitted entering a home on 71st Street in Niagara Falls on June 7, 2006, when a man was beaten with an unidentified blunt object.

Co-defendants Lucas R. Mitten and Keith H. Printup Jr., both 19, of the Tuscarora Indian Reservation, have been sent to state prison -- Mitten for five years and Printup for 1 1/3 to four years -- while Patrick P. Corsaro III, 20, of Demunda Avenue, Niagara Falls, was sent to the county jail for a year.


Man who punched woman gets 3 years' probation

LOCKPORT -- A man who punched an 18-year-old woman was sentenced to three years' probation Monday by Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza.

Charles G. Jamieson III, 28, of 91st Street, Niagara Falls, had pleaded guilty to third-degree assault. The incident occurred in the Town of Niagara on May 26, 2006. He was originally charged with robbing the woman at knifepoint, but those charges were dismissed.


Three plead not guilty to felony DWI charges

LOCKPORT -- Three people pleaded not guilty in Niagara County Court on Monday to felony charges of driving while intoxicated.

Laurie A. Redanz, 39, of South Fourth Street, Lewiston, also was charged with speeding at the time of her arrest Nov. 18 in Lewiston.

Frank J. Marino, 32, of Whitney Avenue, Niagara Falls, was charged with first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation and speeding in addition to drunken driving. He was pulled over Jan. 30 in Niagara Falls.

Christopher R. Miller, 33, of Baker Avenue, Niagara Falls, was pulled over Jan. 21 in the Town of Niagara. He also is charged with first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation.


Sex offender accused of failing to register

LOCKPORT -- A Level 3 sex offender was indicted by a Niagara County grand jury Monday on charges of failing to keep police informed of his home address between September and December of last year and in March and April of this year.

Leonard G. Shimmel, 44, whose last known address was on Washburn Street in Lockport, was indicted on two counts of failing to register. It is at least the third time Shimmel has been charged with violating the sex offender registration law; he was arrested on similar charges in 1998 and 2004.

Shimmel was in state prison for attempted first-degree sodomy from 1988 to 1997 and is required to report his address to police every 90 days.


Woman, 50, raped by teen waited to report attack

NIAGARA FALLS -- A 50-year-old woman was raped Friday evening by a teenager who asked her for help in finding an address, police said.

The woman was walking in the 700 block of Pine Avenue at about 8 p.m. when a heavy-set youth about 17 years old approached, asking about a nearby address.

The woman said she would show him where it was, and, as they walked, the man pulled her into an alley in the 800 block of Cedar Avenue.

Covering the victim's mouth with his hand, he shoved her against a garage, raped her and fled, according to police.

The woman, who was treated in Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, didn't report the attack until Saturday out of fear for her safety.

There are no comments - be the first to comment