Share this article

print logo


>Drug user says she was sexually abused

A Lackawanna woman told Buffalo police she was sexually abused inside a South Buffalo home after she took drugs, overdosed, and went in and out of consciousness.

The woman reported the incident to police Wednesday. She told South District police she was visiting a friend's house when a man sexually abused her.

No arrest has been made.


>Ex-Buffalo man convicted in fatal shooting

A former Buffalo man extradited from North Carolina last year was convicted Thursday of fatally shooting a Buffalo auto mechanic during a break-in at the victim's Crossman Street home on June 27, 2002.

Corlan Page, 35, was found guilty as charged of second-degree murder, burglary, attempted robbery and a weapons count in the slaying of Michael Diebold.

A jury in the courtroom of State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia found Page guilty following three hours of deliberations after a two-week trial.

Jailed since he was extradited last fall from Charlotte, N.C., after completing a brief prison term for a home invasion there, Page will be sentenced July 25. he could receive 40 years to life in prison.

Diebold, 43, bled to death from a gunshot wound to the shoulder. Page fired the weapon as the victim emerged from the bedroom when his 17-year-old daughter screamed for help in the living room, as an accomplice of Page's, who was never identified, beat her.


>Man shot in the chest after cashing check

A Fox Street man was fighting for his life late Thursday after he was shot in the chest shortly after cashing a check at a Genesee Street deli, Buffalo police reported.

David Johnson, 48, left the deli at about 12:30 p.m. when he was approached by a man in the backyard of a Leslie Street address who demanded money and then shot him.

Johnson was struck in the chest and rushed to Erie County Medical Center, where he was listed in grave condition later Thursday. Police said the assailant was believed to have been inside the deli when Johnson was cashing his check.

Homicide detectives were investigating the incident.


>Nine-year term imposed for terrorizing elderly

A Langfield Drive man was ordered Thursday to spend the next nine years in prison for terrorizing elderly Cheektowaga residents with a series of early morning armed home invasions he conducted with two never-identified accomplices.

Fabian T. Jones, 18, insisted to State Supreme Court Justice Timothy J. Drury that he was "only the lookout man" in the crimes. But Drury told him authorities were certain he was the gunman who threatened an elderly Henry Street couple Oct. 4, 2005, and a Veterans Place resident March 26, 2006.

Prosecutor Michael McCabe said Jones, who pleaded guilty Jan. 29 to two first-degree burglary counts, has refused to identify his two accomplices for authorities.

McCabe said prosecutors had to drop charges linked to a Nov. 15, 2005, early morning break-in at another Henry Street home in Cheektowaga because the elderly woman who lived alone there died months later of unrelated causes.


>Driver gets 1-3 years in death of bicyclist

A Pine Street man was sentenced Thursday to one to three years in prison for killing a bicyclist while driving drunk early on Jan. 1, 2006.

Grady Dowell, 23, was sentenced in the death of Oneal Martinez, 33, who was run down at Pearl and West Mohawk streets at about 4 a.m. He pleaded guilty Jan. 29 to criminally negligent homicide and misdemeanor drunken driving.

Thursday, he told State Supreme Court Justice Christopher J. Burns he wanted to apologize to Martinez's family and insisted the death "was really an accident."
Burns also revoked Dowell's driver's license and fined him $685 on the misdemeanor DWI charge.

Prosecutor Jeffrey J. Hagen said Martinez, of Pearl Street, was hit while collecting pop cans for deposit money. He was pronounced dead in Buffalo General Hospital, the prosecutor said.


>Dogs, cats rescued from fire on Walden

Buffalo firefighters rescued several cats and puppies Thursday morning from a burning Walden Avenue home.

Fire officials said the blaze broke out at about 10:50 a.m. at 807 Walden Ave., a 2 1/2 -story occupied home near St. Marys Road. An occupant was able to escape from the burning house before firefighters arrived.

Damage was estimated at $30,000. The cause of the fire is being investigated.


>Mercy Flight takes victim of Route 5 crash to ECMC

One person was taken by Mercy Flight to Erie County Medical Center following a crash at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday on Route 5 at Lake View Road in the Town of Hamburg. Further information was unavailable.

There are no comments - be the first to comment