Share this article

print logo


>Ex-sheriff's investigator killed at work site

RIDGEWAY -- A retired criminal investigator for the Orleans County Sheriff's Office was killed Tuesday morning while repairing machinery at the Orleans County 4-H Fairgrounds, where he worked as a groundskeeper, sheriff's deputies said.

Dwight H. "Buzz" Hill, 62, who was doing maintenance on the machinery, was found dead beneath the equipment, which apparently fell on him at about 10:45 a.m., authorities said. Police did not say what type of machinery he was working on.

Hill, who retired from the Sheriff's Office in 1999, worked for four years as an investigator for the Orleans County district attorney's office after retiring.

He is survived by his wife and two adult children.


>Two arrested in Falls after traffic stop

NIAGARA FALLS -- Two men were arrested following a traffic stop late Monday, when city police used a Taser on one of the suspects who fled from the car and hid in a basement on Niagara Street.

The driver, Adrian J. Miller, 23, of 23rd Street, was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana, seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, operating without insurance, illegal signal, aggravated unlicensed operation and driving with an obstructed view.

Police said Miller was driving too slow and failed to use a signal while turning onto Niagara Street. They also said he had several objects hanging from his mirror obstructing his view.

Police said that after they stopped Miller in the 1700 block of Niagara Street, Marcus A. Mathis, 30, of 17h Street, a passenger in his car, fled into the home of a man who said he did not know him. Police said they tracked Mathis to the basement, with one hand concealed in his belt, as if he had a weapon, and Tasered him twice because he refused to show his hand.

Mathis was charged with resisting arrest, obstructing governmental administration and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance

Later, he was treated in Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center after he complained of chest pains from the Taser prongs, police said.


>Driver of stolen pickup arrested after chase

NIAGARA FALLS -- Police said a Lockport man was charged after a high-speed chase in a stolen pickup truck Monday.

Patrick M. Dietz, 36, of Ruhlman Road, was charged after a car chase and then a brief foot chase at 4 a.m. in the 600 block of 23rd Street, police said.

Officers said Dietz passed two stop signs, nearly hitting another vehicle at 23rd and Walnut streets, and then jumped out of the truck in the middle of the road at North and 24th streets and tried to run.

The truck was reported stolen Friday.

Dietz was charged with criminal possession of a stolen vehicle, felony driving while under the influence of drugs, aggravated unlicensed operation, two counts of passing a stop sign and speeding.

According to reports, Dietz told police that he was not feeling well because he had been doing cocaine for the past couple of days.


>Victim is identified in fatal dirt bike crash

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. -- A 17-year-old youth who died from injuries he received in a dirt bike accident Sunday has been identified, Niagara Regional Police officials reported.

Matthew Hofland of St. Catharines was riding his dirt bike with two boys -- ages 14 and 15 -- when he lost control while performing a stunt on undeveloped private property and crashed just before 6 p.m., police said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment