Here's some local farms that sell naturally raised meat to local cooks.
Some may be able to sell you some today, while others won't have what you want for a month or more. The shift from supermarket meat-on-demand takes getting used to, but its fans say it's worth it.
A note on terms: Natural means no routine antibiotics or any added hormones. Packages are combinations of cut and ground meat sold primarily by the pound.
A half or quarter animal is usually sold by "hanging weight," the pre-cutting weight that usually includes bones, skin and other parts most people don't want. Expect finished meat to be roughly two-thirds of the hanging weight.
* Hanova Hills Farms, Forestville: Natural beef. Order packages, quarters or halves from the farm (965-2249). Also sells at Lexington Co-op and Bidwell Farmer's Market. Will deliver depending on order.
* Freeman Homestead, Pomfret: Grass-fed beef, pork, grass-finished lamb, chicken, eggs, turkey, duck, rabbit. Order from the farm (672-8022). Deliveries to West Seneca and Elma.
* Strobel Farms, Newfane: Natural beef and pork. Order from the farm (778-5924). Delivery for additional charge.
* S.K. Herefords, Medina: Natural beef finished on corn. Order packages, quarters or halves from the farm (585-798-4088). Will deliver order depending on size.
* Native Offerings, East Otto: Naturally raised pork and beef. Call farm (257-3006) or see Web site at nativeofferings.com for order form. Also sells organic vegetable farm subscriptions.
* Southwind Farms, Middleport: Natural beef and pork. Order from the farm (735-9113).
* Halal Premium Meats, Randolph: Natural beef, lamb and goat. "Twin Rivers" brand meat in Feel-Rite stores, Lexington Co-op, East Concord General store, or order from company (474-2581).
* Thorpe's Organic Family Farm, East Aurora: Organically raised beef, pork, eggs and chickens, turkeys. Order from the farm (655-4486). Also sells vegetable farm subscriptions.
* Blossom Hill Farm, Dayton: Natural pork and meat products, chicken, eggs. Order from the farm (532-1741), or buy at Lexington Co-op, Bidwell Farmer's Market. Check Web site (blossomhillfarm.net) under "In the freezer."
* Pumpkinville Farms, Great Valley: Natural Angus beef by quarter and half, free range broilers in July and August. Order from farm (699-2994).
-- Andrew Z. Galarneau