Share this article

print logo

Tiny caskets tell a tale Two little boys who loved, laughed and lived life together laid to rest

The white, closed caskets were so small that -- end to end -- they looked like one adult-sized coffin.

The two little caskets carried the bodies of Marion Brown, 9, and Pierre Gotel, 8, brothers who died early March 24 when fire ripped through their B Street home.

Hundreds packed the cavernous auditorium for Monday's funeral service in Elim Christian Fellowship in Central Park Plaza.

Their teenage sister Saggitrous shared personal memories. Pierre -- or Pecan as his family called him because of his complexion -- liked to dance and was very smart, she said. Marion liked to wrestle and play around a lot.

"I will always have special memories of them. No matter what we had to go through, we did it together, and I will miss them," Saggitrous said.

Marion and Pierre were trapped in their middle bedroom, right off the kitchen. And despite repeated attempts by their mother, Asiahia Brown, and a neighbor to rescue them from the smoky, flame-filled home, the boys died in Erie County Medical Center of third-degree burns.

Their mother suffered cuts to her head and burns on her arm.

Because of his always wanting to know about everything, Marion was called Curious George by their mother.

Pizza was Marion's favorite food, and he loved eating out at Old Country Buffet -- just like his younger brother Pierre, his sister said.

Pierre loved playing in the dirt and mud and playing with his wrestler action figures.

"Marion was a sweet boy," said Linda Beckman, one of his teachers at Buffalo Public School 31. "I didn't say he didn't run a lot. I didn't say he didn't like to talk a lot, but when it came down to business, he got to it."

Representatives from the school presented the grieving family with a custom-made uniform shirt with Marion's name and picture on it.

Pierre was a third-grader at Charles R. Drew Science Magnet School 59.

Both were typical little boys, said Jean Young, pastor of Young Tabernacle Holiness Church on Best Street. Young, who has also lost a son, encouraged the family to "turn the page and go on to the next chapter."

An electrical or gas appliance may have caused the fire, but the investigation is ongoing, said Lt. Sal Colangelo, commander of the city fire marshal's office.

e-mail: dswilliams@buffnews.com

There are no comments - be the first to comment