Share this article

print logo


Tattoo parlor robbed at gunpoint of $308

A Genesee Street tattoo parlor was robbed at gunpoint Friday evening, Buffalo police reported.

Employees at the Living Canvas Tattoo Studio, 2264 Genesee St., told police that a 6-foot, 190-pound man wearing a blue hooded sweat shirt entered the parlor at about 7:20 p.m. with a scarf on his face and displayed a silver revolver, demanding money from each of three victims inside.

He made off with $300 from one victim and $8 from another, police said.


Botched robbery ends with one man injured

Two Plymouth Avenue men were robbed at knifepoint early Saturday on the city's West Side by two other men wearing ski masks, Buffalo police reported.

The victims said they were approached by the assailants at about 12:30 a.m. at Massachusetts and Normal avenues. The robbers put knives to the victims' throats and said "give me everything you got."

One of the victims was cut on his throat and was taken to the Erie County Medical Center for evaluation.

The robbers did not get any cash or property and fled the scene, police said.


Man convicted in theft of Christmas gifts

A man who left a trail in the snow after stealing Christmas presents in Lackawanna on Dec. 21, 2005, was found guilty of charges Friday by an Erie County Court jury.

Michael G. Cheatom, 42, was sent to jail by Senior Erie County Judge Michael L. D'Amico after a jury found him guilty of burglary and stolen property charges. The verdict, which was reached after two hours of deliberations, followed a four-day trial.

Cheatom, formerly of Thomas Terrace in Lackawanna and recently of Horner Street in Cheektowaga, broke into an Ingham Avenue home in Lackawanna about 7:45 a.m. Cheatom, who has two prior drug convictions, did not testify or call any alibi witnesses. He faces up to 15 years in prison when sentenced April 20.

Prosecutor Timothy D. Gallagher said the owner of the house had just returned home when he saw Cheatom dash across his snow-covered front law carrying a large bag, then found his front door broken.

As the man called police, his daughter followed footprints in the snow to nearby Stoney Street, where Lackawanna Police Officer Keith Alvarez arrested Cheatom and recovered the presents, including jewelry, perfume, a digital camera and a tape recorder.

Emily Trott, Cheatom's attorney, said the conviction will be appealed.


Two demanding money shoot man in the calf

A Dartmouth Avenue man was treated in Erie County Medical Center after he was shot in the right calf late Friday during a robbery at Suffolk Street and Hewitt Avenue, Buffalo police reported.

Terrance Harris told police he was at the corner at about 9:45 p.m. when two men demanded money from him. He then was shot, and the two men fled north on Suffolk Street, according to reports.

An ECMC spokesman said Harris was not admitted to the hospital.


Theft of copper wire leads to arrest of three

Three men were arrested early Saturday after being caught loading copper wire into a vehicle at a Lee Street business, Buffalo police reported.

Linwood Roberts Jr., 33, and Angelo J. Miller Jr., 30, both of Southampton Street, and Michael T. Mingo, 33, of Rich Street, were charged with burglary, possession of burglar's tools, criminal possession of stolen property and criminal mischief.

The three were caught by officers allegedly stealing the copper wire from Buffalo Color, 100 Lee St., at about 3:30 a.m. Police said the men cut a hole in the fence to gain access to the business.


Man waiting for bus robbed at gunpoint

A Gatchell Street man was robbed at gunpoint at about noon Friday while waiting for a bus at Walden and Wood avenues, Buffalo police said.

The victim told police a man in his 20s asked him to take a walk with him and when he refused, another man displayed the handle of a handgun and said, "You know what goes down."

The victim gave the gunman $3 in cash and his wallet, police said.


Riverside man accused of robbery, firing shots

Buffalo police have accused a Riverside man of robbing a neighbor then firing two shots into her house a few hours later.

Lamar S. Davis, 18, of Gallatin Avenue, allegedly took a gold chain from the neck of the Ontario Street woman at gunpoint shortly before 9 p.m. last Sunday, police said. Early Monday, he allegedly fired two shots through the victim's front window, police said.

Davis was charged with robbery, grand larceny, reckless endangerment, intimidating a victim and unlawful possession of marijuana.

Northwest District Officers Brian Griffin and Steven Maslowski said Davis had a quantity of marijuana when they apprehended him just before 11 p.m. Friday at the foot of Ontario Street, where they were investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle.

There are no comments - be the first to comment