* Hand it to St. Bonaventure women's hoops coach Jim Crowley -- he's guided the Bonnies to three straight road wins, the first such streak since the 1996-97 season. Bona won at Cleveland State, dominated Canisius at the Koessler Center and came from behind to beat Fairleigh Dickinson.
* Buffalo State senior Dante Griggs was named the most valuable player at the Holiday Inn Invitational. After posting 11 points, 13 rebounds and five assists in a 78-44 win over Medaille, Griggs added 15 points and five boards in an 85-75 win against Hilbert in the title game.
* Oneonta State graduate Musu Jackson-Buckner (Buffalo Seminary) was named the most outstanding female student-athlete by the State University of New York Athletic Conference for 2005-06. Jackson-Buckner won the 200 meters at the 2006 NCAA Division III outdoor track and field championships. She was also named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Association female Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
>Games to watch
* Canisius hosts St. Bonaventure in a men's basketball showdown at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Koessler Center. Zarryon Fereti leads the Bonnies (3-7), averaging 13 points a game, while Chuck Harris leads Canisius (3-6), averaging 13.3 points.
* It's beginning to look a lot like basketball season as area teams pack in games before the holiday break. Among the highlights on the schedule, the University at Buffalo men's team hosts Delaware State at 7 p.m. Thursday and Siena at 2 p.m. Friday while the UB women host Southeast Missouri State at 7 p.m. Friday.
If you're looking for a weekday afternoon hoops game, the Niagara women host Marshall at 1 p.m. Thursday.
* Buffalo State's men's basketball team will get to face a program with a bit of national notoriety Friday when it plays Lincoln (Pa.) University in the RDV Sportsplex Tournament in Orlando, Fla. Earlier this month, Lincoln set five NCAA Division III scoring records with its 201-78 win over Ohio State-Marion. Lincoln, though, has lost its last two games and will likely drop out of the top 25 this week.
* Just when you had your calendar all marked, the Canisius-Niagara men's hockey game gets changed again. Their annual clash at Dwyer Arena on Dec. 30 is back to a 7 p.m. start.