Share this article

print logo

Teen held in 3 home invasions

In the first attack, an elderly couple was bound and held at gunpoint for three hours.

In another attack, two men wearing ski masks and gloves cut an elderly woman's phone line, ransacked her home and stayed for more than five hours.

In a third break-in, an older woman was beaten over the head with a gun.

Three violent home invasions, with two attackers targeting elderly victims in the same Cheektowaga neighborhood.

Cheektowaga detectives have charged 17-year-old Fabian T. Jones of Buffalo in all three home invasions.

On Friday, police implicated Jones in the first two attacks, in October and November, charging him with robbery, burglary and criminal use of a firearm. He was arrested Sunday following the third incident, a break-in on Veterans Place.

Now, detectives want to find any accomplices.

"We are actively looking for the second person," Capt. John Glascott said. "We don't have any concrete identity on that person right now. We're hoping to develop that as the investigation progresses."

As they continue to probe the three break-ins, Cheektowaga police want to know whether the second person in Sunday's attack also was involved in the two previous incidents and whether more than two people took part in each attack.
"Whether or not he had the same accomplice in all three, we don't know," Lt. David Zack said.

Even if the same two people entered all three homes, police don't know whether others were indirectly involved. Detectives are wondering whether someone was driving a getaway car. They also want to know how the elderly victims were selected.

"Could somebody be passing information to these folks with regard to soft targets?" Glascott asked.

Jones has been charged in all three armed robberies:

The Oct. 4 home invasion on Henry Street. An 82-year-old man and his 72-year-old wife were bound and held at gunpoint until they told their captors where they kept their money.

The Nov. 16 break-in, also on Henry Street. The 80-year-old woman told investigators she was lying in bed when she heard a noise at about 12:20 a.m. The two thieves, wearing ski masks, kept demanding more money and ransacked the home, leaving about five hours later.

With her phone line cut, the victim couldn't report the incident until a caregiver stopped at the home at about 1 p.m.

Sunday's break-in on Veterans Place. A 79-year-old woman was robbed and beaten with a gun. Unlike the two earlier incidents, the intruders stayed in the home for only a few minutes, police have said.

"I know there's some relief in the community, but we don't want people to put their guard down yet," Zack said Friday, after Jones was charged. "We still have subjects at large, and we still want people to be diligent in phoning in their tips."


There are no comments - be the first to comment