Share this article

print logo


Pregnant woman victim of violent home invasion

NIAGARA FALLS -- A pregnant woman was injured Friday night when two armed robbers smashed their way into her Lindbergh Avenue apartment, stealing money and gold chains, city police reported.

Police said the 22-year-old victim was home alone when she heard a light knock at her door about 8:37 p.m.

After hearing glass break, she hid behind an interior door. As she called 911, a sledge hammer smashed through the door, striking the woman on the head. Two men wearing ski masks and plastic gloves and armed with handguns burst in and forced the woman onto the living room floor while they ransacked the residence, police said.

The robbers took two gold chains valued at $1,100 and $18 from the woman's purse.

The victim was taken to Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, where she received two stitches to a cut on her head.


Boyfriend, out of jail, injured after break-in

TOWN OF LOCKPORT -- A Lockport man who had been released from jail Friday was stabbed Saturday morning after breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home and struggling with her, Niagara County sheriff's deputies reported.

Leon Johnson, 22, of Washburn Street, was initially treated at Lockport Memorial Hospital and was later transferred to Erie County Medical Center for additional treatment. He will be arraigned on a second-degree burglary charge following his release from the hospital.

Johnson, who had been released from Niagara County Jail on Friday after completing a sentence for a parole violation, broke into the woman's home at 7:20 a.m., deputies said.

The victim, who was home with her two young children and an unidentified friend, scuffled briefly with Johnson, during which time Johnson became injured and fled, deputies said.

Neither the victim nor anyone else inside her home was injured during the incident. Sgt. Kevin Mack and investigators Pat Weidel and Ray Degan led the investigation.


DWI blitz nets 7 arrests and 47 traffic tickets

NIAGARA FALLS -- Police said they made seven arrests during a DWI blitz late Friday and early Saturday, including a teenager and a man who struck a parked car and then a house in an apparent effort to elude authorities.

A dozen officers participated in the blitz, which targeted drunken driving but also resulted in 47 other traffic tickets for violations ranging from unlicensed operation to reckless driving, said Traffic Capt. Salvatore Pino and Lt. David Augustyniak.

Police investigated a pair of traffic accidents during the blitz, including one involving Packard Court resident Jake W. Nowak, 21. Officers said they spotted Nowak just after 10 p.m. in the 2500 block of Walnut Avenue, traveling 55 mph in a 30-mph zone.

Nowak refused to stop for police, striking a parked car and then a house before being subdued, police said. In addition to driving while intoxicated, he was charged with reckless driving, failure to yield, leaving the scene of an accident and resisting arrest, among other traffic violations.

Darius J. Stephens, 18, was among those charged with DWI during the blitz. The Eighth Street resident was stopped in the 400 block of 12th Street shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday.

One man was charged with a felony count of DWI. Terry L. Felvus, 45, of 25th Street, had a previous DWI conviction in July 1996, police said.

Others charged with DWI were John J. McDonald III, 25, of Driftwood Drive, Grand Island; Tiffany D. Sgro, 28, of 29th Street; Daniel E. Muth, 21, of 82nd Street; and Eugene B. Jackson, 58, of Bayshore.

Prior to the start of Friday's detail, police arrested a Buffalo woman on DWI and other charges. Brenda M. Hardy, 36, was stopped just before 8 p.m. in the 3600 block of Pine Avenue, police said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment