Share this article

print logo


>Drug convictions lead to jail in two cases

MAYVILLE -- Two people were sentenced in County Court Monday on drug charges.

Chautauqua County District Attorney David Foley said Quincy Smith, 29, of Hedwigs Avenue, Dunkirk, was sentenced to 1 1/2 years in prison after being convicted of criminal sale of a controlled substance.

Tervon Stephens, 36, of Buffalo, was sentenced to 3 years in prison for criminal possession of a controlled substance and 2 years probation after serving his sentence, Foley said.


>Hunt for robber results in another arrest

A Persons Street man was taken into custody after a short foot chase by police after he allegedly pointed a gun at officers late Monday afternoon on the city's East Side.

Dashawn E. Abrams, 16, was charged with reckless endangerment, obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest, criminal possession of a loaded firearm, menacing and possession of a forged instrument, a counterfeit $10 bill and a counterfeit $20 bill.

Ferry-Fillmore District Officers Jeffrey Weyand and Mark Costantino were looking for robbery suspects at about 5:20 p.m. when Abrams allegedly fled from police through a vacant lot on Goembel Avenue.

Police said Abrams pulled out a pistol and pointed it at the officers. Costantino then drew his own gun and fired a single shot at Abrams, who dropped his gun but fled. Abrams was not hit.

Abrams was apprehended on Bailey Avenue a short time later after he fought with officers, police said. A loaded .38-caliber gun was recovered in a Goembel Avenue yard, according to reports.


>Man robs HSBC branch on Elmwood Ave. in city

A man claiming to have a gun robbed the HSBC Bank at 529 Elmwood Ave. just after noon Tuesday, Buffalo police reported.

A bank representative told police that the man handed a note to a teller stating, "give me 50s and 20s. I have a gun. Don't make me use it."


>Fire damages 2 homes on East Delavan Ave.

The Red Cross is assisting one adult and one child after their East Delavan Avenue home was heavily damaged by flames Monday afternoon. No injuries were reported.

Fire officials said the fire at 671 E. Delavan started at about 5 p.m. and quickly spread throughout the two-story house.

Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the building and $10,000 to its contents.

The flames also spread to a neighboring house at 673 E. Delavan, causing an estimated $5,000 in damages.

The cause has not been determined.

There are no comments - be the first to comment