Share this article

print logo


Bank robber pleads guilty, faces prison and fines

A Buffalo man faces up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines for each of two bank robberies he admitted to committing in May, the U.S. attorney's office reported Thursday.

Myron O. Jones, 35, pleaded guilty Thursday to two counts of bank robbery before U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara for the May 13 robbery of the Key Bank at 52 Amherst St. in Buffalo and the May 14 robbery of the HSBC branch at 1690 Sheridan Drive in the Town of Tonawanda. He is in custody pending his Dec. 20 sentencing.


Handyman found not guilty in rape, sodomy case

Willie C. Allen, a Williams Street home repair worker, was found not guilty Thursday of raping and sodomizing a Chautauqua County woman.

Senior Erie County Judge Michael L. D'Amico, at the close of a two-day non-jury trial, found Allen not guilty of first-degree rape and felony sodomy charges linked to an alleged attack in Allen's home Jan. 22.

Jailed since his arrest that day, Allen, 34, shook hands with his attorney, Daniel J. DuBois, as the verdict was announced at about 10:45 a.m.

Under questioning by DuBois, the 21-year-old alleged victim admitted having a three-day affair with Allen after meeting him earlier that week.

DuBois stressed that a medical exam of the woman found no evidence of trauma and that the rape kit that was administered proved negative.


Occupant suffers burns in Amherst Street fire

One person suffered leg injuries after a fire started in an Amherst Street apartment building early Thursday afternoon, Buffalo fire officials reported.

The blaze broke out at about 1:30 p.m. on the third floor of the three-story building at 1015 Amherst St. An unidentified occupant was rescued and taken to Erie County Medical Center with leg burns.

Firefighters contained the fire to one room. Damage was estimated at $30,000.


Driver on Seymour Street wounded after hearing shots

A Buffalo man who told police he was randomly shot while driving on Seymour Street early today remained in the Erie County Medical Center emergency room late this morning, according to police and hospital officials.

Antonio Foots, 28, of Swan Street, told police he was at 62 Seymour St. at 12:15 a.m., when he noticed a green car with tinted windows and two men running down the street. Foots reported he heard gun shots and kept driving, and that's when he was shot.

A police report doesn't indicate where on his body Foots was wounded, and Foots told police he doesn't know who shot him. He drove himself to ECMC for treatment.

Police recovered his vehicle at the hospital and impounded it for evidence. The Major Crimes Bureau is leading the investigation.


Woman robbed at gunpoint; Seneca Street man charged

Police early today arrested a Buffalo man who is accused of robbing a woman at gunpoint in the parking lot of a South Buffalo convenience store.

The woman told Buffalo police that she and her 7-month-old daughter were at the B-Kwik food store at Seneca Street and Knoerl Avenue at 10:15 p.m. Thursday when they were approached by a man brandishing a black handgun.

She gave the man $125 in response to his demand for money. The robber fled.

Police later found Joseph A. Lombardo, 36, of 2836 Seneca St., hiding on the roof at 74 Hayden St., where officers also recovered a weapon. Lombardo was identified by the victim and now faces charges of criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of menacing, police reported.


Two fires in city leave three firefighters injured

Three Buffalo firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling two separate fires in the city early this morning. The fires were reported five minutes apart. The first came in at 12:23 a.m. and occurred at 100 Fuller Ave., between Collaton Street and Briggs Avenue in Riverside, according to Buffalo fire officials.

The fire started in a garage attached to the house and caused $20,000 damage to the building and $20,000 damage to the contents. One firefighter suffered a minor injury, and no injuries were reported to any occupants. The cause is under investigation.

Officials say an arsonist set the second fire, reported at 12:28, at a 1 1/2 -story frame house at 455 E. Delavan Ave. It caused $2,000 damage.

Two firefighters were injured battling this fire.

There are no comments - be the first to comment