A 10-year-old Bronx girl has died from flesh-eating bacteria, a rare and invasive form of the same bug that causes strep throat and scarlet fever. Nathera Masoud had never suffered any serious health problems before contracting necrotizing fasciitis, an infection caused by Group A streptococcus bacteria, the Daily News reported Tuesday. She died last Friday.
Necrotizing fasciitis is a fast-moving form of the Group A strep bacteria that can destroy skin and the soft tissues beneath it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that there are between 500 and 1,500 cases in the United States each year.
Nathera first started feeling ill around April 2 when she complained of a sharp pain near her armpit, her mother said. Her condition worsened, and tests confirmed her tissues were under attack from the bacteria. Three days later she was dead.