The Business Calendar runs each Sunday in the Business section. Notices of meetings, seminars and workshops of interest to the Buffalo-area business community should be sent to the Business News Desk of The Buffalo News, P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, N.Y. 14240, by the preceding Thursday or faxed to 849-4587.
* The Niagara Frontier Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers, monthly dinner meeting, 6 p.m., Buffalo Fire Museum, 1850 William St. Program: Charles Cala, a retired Buffalo firefighter will conduct a tour of the museum, followed by dinner at Billy Ogdens, 1834 William St. Reservations, call Jim Connors, 685-8216 or Albert Stutz, 684-3891.
* Buffalo Executives Association, networking meeting, noon, Twentieth Century Club, 595 Delaware Ave. Program: Speaker from United Materials Handling. Call Cheryl Meyer 852-6916.
* Buffalo Business and Professional Women's Club, monthly meeting, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Sonoma Grille, 5050 Main St., Williamsville. Program: Taking Action: What Can You Do? Social Security and Pay Equity. Reservations, Lora Warkentin, 832-9327.
* Speakeasy Toastmasters, 7 p.m., Mansard Inn, 3365 Abbott Road, Orchard Park. Call Mary Haden, 648-2227.
Seminars and classes
* Canisius College Distinguished Business Leaders Lecture, 4 p.m., Canisius College Grupp Fireside Lounge of the Richard E. Winter '42 Student Center, 2001 Main St. Speaker: Susan Schmidt Bies, Board of Governors, Federal Reserve System. Call 888-2790.
* Clarence Community Education, "Legal Survival for Landlords" course, 6-9:30 p.m., Clarence High School, 9625 Main St., Clarence. Speaker: Robert Friedman, attorney/author will discuss evictions, leases, Small Claims court, discrimination laws, civil liability, insurance, security deposits, elderly tenants, drugs, debt collection and lead paint. Registration, call 542-5444.
* Society of Plastic Engineers, monthly technical and dinner meeting, 6:30 p.m., Airport Holiday Inn, 4600 Genesee St., Cheektowaga. Cost, $18 members and guests; $10 students and retirees. Call Tim Schwab or Norb Schwab, 662-8550.
* Executive Marketing Chapter of Business Networking International, 7 a.m., Bings Restaurant, 1952 Kensington Ave. Speaker: Dr. Alison Bramer Cummings, Inner Balance Chiropractic. Guests welcome. Call Dawn Glinski, 847-4168.
* The Amherst Chamber of Commerce and First Date Merchant Services, April Business After Hours event, 5-7 p.m., Daffodils Restaurant, 930 Maple Road, Williamsville. Cost, $25 nonmembers. Call 632-6905.
Seminars and classes
* Network in Aging, two-part professional seminar, 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Banchettis' Banquet Facility, 5550 N. French Road, Amherst. Topic: "Spirituality and Eldercare: A Missing Piece in a Difficult Puzzle." Cost, $35 one session; $55 both sessions. Registration, call 829-3712.
* KeyBank, Mortgage and Home Equity Solutions Seminar, 5:30-7:30 p.m., KeyBank, 1930 Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda. Reservations, call 695-5566.
* Smart Growth is Smart Business, speaker seminar series, 7 p.m., Nichols School, Flickinger Performing Arts Center, 1250 Amherst St. Program: "Starting With What We Have -- Reinvestment and Redesign of Existing Neighborhoods to Create Economic Impact," presented by Neal Payton, Torti, Gallas and Partners, Silver Spring, Md. Call Phil Haberstro, 851-4052.
* Financial Planning Association of Upstate New York, Retirement Income Distribution Strategies, 3:30-5 p.m., Marinaccio's Italian Ristorante, 5877 Main St., Williamsville. Speakers: Amy Diesen, American Express Retail Retirement Plans; Mark Tierney, Fidelity Investments and Rob Curtis, Eaton Vance Distributors. Cost, $25. Registration, FPA Chapter Office, P.O. Box 539, Webster 14580; call: (800) 442-3769.
* The Niagara Frontier Chapter of Tax Executives Institute, dinner meeting, 5 p.m., Italian Village Restaurant, 804 Wherle Drive, Williamsville. Program: "Schedule M-3 -- Tax Compliance Update," presented by Bob Kilinskis, Deloitte Tax. Eligible for one hour CPE. Reservations call Ed Steele, 689-4972.
* Niagara Frontier Tourism Task Force, networking meeting, 6 p.m., Smokin' Joes Family Fun Center, 301 Rainbow Blvd., Niagara Falls. Speakers: Representatives from Niagara Landing Wine Cellars and The Niagara Wine Trail. Reservations, call 934-3775.
* The Buffalo Chapter of the American Society of Women Accountants, monthly meeting, 6 p.m., My Tomato Pie Restaurant, 3085 Sheridan Drive, Amherst. Topic: Retirement Planning. Call Rebecca Baker, 877-3959.
* WNY Biz Group, 8 a.m., Marinaccio's Italian Ristorante, 5877 Main St., Williamsville. Call Jack Finnegan, 830-9254 or e-mail: email@example.com.
* Lancaster Chamber of Commerce, business networking meeting, 8 a.m., Olive Tree Restaurant, 5240 Broadway, Depew. Call 681-9755.
* Speak for Success, a chapter of Toastmasters International, 11:55 a.m.-1 p.m., Auditorium, Calspan Corp., 4455 Genesee St. Call Kevin Leous, 631-6968.
* Financial Women International and Working for Downtown, dinner meeting, 5:30-8 p.m., The Saturn Club, 977 Delaware Ave. Program: Kausner Hamdani, Federal Reserve Bank, Buffalo Chapter. Cost $28, members; $33, nonmembers. Call Lisa Gasper, 626-4433, ext. 122 or Debbie Kaczmarski, 759-8345.<<
Seminars and classes
* Canisius College Graduate Business Programs of the Richard J. Wehle School of Business, Corporate Leadership seminar, 8-10:45 a.m., Canisius Center at Amherst, 300 Corporate Parkway. Free. Registration, 888-2140 or visit: www.canisius.edu/mba and click on Information Seminars.
* SCORE, the U.S. Small Business Administration and North Tonawanda Public Library, "Starting and Managing Your Business" workshop, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., North Tonawanda Public Library, 505 Meadow Drive, North Tonawanda. Cost, $25. Call 551-4301 or visit www.scorebuffalo.org.
* Lorman Education Services, "Negotiating AIA, AGC and Other Construction Contracts to Maximize Profits," 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Buffalo Convention Center, Six Fountain Plaza. Speaker: Daniel E. Sarzynski, Rupp, Baase, Pfalzgraf, Cunningham and Coppola. Call (888) 678-5565 or visit: www.lorman.com.
* Niagara County Community College Small Business Development Center and Niagara County Center for Economic Development, free Local Government Programs for Small Business Owners, 9-11 a.m., HSBC Bank, 721 Center St., Lewiston. Registration, call 278-8760.
* The Women's Business Center at Canisius College, free "Business Planning" counseling session for current and potential small business owners, noon-1 p.m., Demerly Hall, Canisius College, 2365 Main St. Call 888-6650.
* Buffalo Niagara Human Resource Association, workshop and dinner meeting, 2 p.m., Airport Holiday Inn, 4600 Genesee St., Cheektowaga. Registration 1:30 p.m. Program: "HR Metrics," presented by Diane Lustenader, Lake Associates. Information and registration, Lori Sosenko 692-5794.
* The New York State Commercial Association of Realtors, monthly breakfast meeting, 8:30 a.m., Amherst Holiday Inn, 1881 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst. Speaker: Niagara Falls mayor Vincenzo Anello. Cost $10. Call 668-6875.
* American Society for Quality and American Production and Inventory Control Society, joint dinner meeting, 5:30 p.m., Salvatore's Italian Gardens, 6461 Transit Road, Depew. Program: "Top Management Night, Lessons Learned on the Road to World Class," presented by Steve Shiffer, Transformance Advisors. Cost $22. Reservations, call 648-0972.
* The Buffalo Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants, dinner meeting, 6:30 p.m., The Old Red Mill Restaurant, 8326 Main St., Williamsville. Program: Business Valuations, presented by John W. Lindak, Brisbane Consulting Group. Call Joe LaLonde, (585) 389-6110 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Niagara Networking Group, breakfast meeting, 7:30-8:45 a.m., Perkins Restaurant, 1785 Military Road, Niagara Falls.
* The Western New York Business Networking Group, 7:45 a.m., Cafe Aroma, 5229 Main St., Williamsville. New members welcome. Call 631-9572.
* Southtowns Business Network, networking breakfast, 8 a.m., Alton's Restaurant, 2221 Transit Road, Elma. Guests welcome. Speaker: Walter Pipo, Star Stones. Call Darryl Stacey, 854-1808.
* Working for Downtown, "Thursday in the City B.A.S.H.," a business and social happy hour, 5-8 p.m., Bacchus, 56 W. Chippewa at Franklin.
* Buffalo Business and Professional Women's Club and Women Lawyers of Western New York, joint program, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Longfellows Restaurant, 69 Delaware Ave (next to BAC). Program: Equal Pay Day (Un)happy Hour. Cost $25, women; $35, men. Reservations, Lucy Mysiak, 683-5822.
* Buffalo IBD Investors, educational program, 7 p.m., Razzberri's Grill, 5512 Transit Road, Depew. Optional ala carte dinner, 6:30 p.m. Program: Discussion of current stock market events and indentifying opportunities to add to personal portfolio. Guests are welcome.
Seminars and classes
* Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Buffalo, "Credit When Credit Is Due" program, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., United Way of Buffalo and Erie County, 742 Delaware Ave. Call 854-1710.
* The Small Business Development Center at Niagara County Community College, minority small business workshops, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Family Resource Building, 3001 Ninth St., Niagara Falls. Topic: "Business Plan Development." Call 434-3815.
* The Women's Business Center at Canisius College, "Independent Contractors and Distributors" for current and potential small business owners, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Demerly Hall, Canisius College, 2365 Main St. Cost, $49. Call 888-6650.
* The TIP Club of Buffalo, a networking group open to business professionals, 7:30 a.m., Sheraton Four Points Hotel, 2040 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga. Call Tony Calandra, 897-0700, ext. 227.
Seminars and classes
* The PACE Program at Houghton College, free Microsoft Excel application training, 8 a.m.-noon, West Seneca Campus computer lab, 810 Union Road. Register online: www.houghton.edu/pace/corporate and click on Professional Development Training Schedule to view other training sessions on Microsoft Office applications.
* Brainstorm, the Communicators Club of Buffalo, Student Portfolio Review, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Wick Center Social Room, Daemen College, 4380 Main St., Snyder. Open to seniors and second-semester juniors from two and four-year programs. Two $500 scholarships will be awarded. Visit:
Seminars and classes
* The Buffalo Chapter of the Urban Financial Services Coalition, free FDIC Money Smart Financial Literacy series, 9-11 a.m., First Shiloh Baptist Church, 15 Pine St. Topic: "Build a Better Financial Future: Borrowing Basics and Loan to Own," Call Ellen, 841-7612.
* M&T Mortgage, free home-buying seminar, 1 p.m., M&T's Hamburg Branch, 6000 South Park, Hamburg. Reservations, 848-4848.
* The Buffalo Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals, Administrative Professionals Week luncheon, 12:30 p.m., The Creekside Banquet and Picnic Grove, 2669 Union Road, Cheektowaga. Program: Maureen A. Kirchmyer will be honored as the Outstanding Member of the Year. Call Terry Tucholski, 668-2259.
* Buffalo Executives Association, staff appreciation day, noon, Classics V, 2443 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst. Program: Hon. Barbara Howe, Erie County Surrogate. Call Cheryl Meyer 852-6916.
* Grand Pioneer Toastmasters, 6:30-9 p.m., My Tomato Pie Restaurant, 3085 Sheridan Drive, Amherst. Guests welcome. Call Lisa Lundy, 835-6392.
* Lancaster Area Chamber of Commerce, 7:30-9 a.m., Magruder's Restaurant, 4995 Broadway, Depew. Topic: "Lean Production, Part I," presented by the UB Center for Industrial Effectiveness. Cost: $15, advance; $20, door; $25, nonmembers. Call 681-9755. Send payment to: LACC, P.O. Box 284, Lancaster, N.Y. 14086.
* The Northtowns Chapter of the American Business Women's Association and Kaufmann's Department Store, Spring Fling, 6-10 p.m., Walden Galleria Mall, Walden Ave., Cheektowaga. Tickets, $10. Call Sue, 836-3688.
* The Niagara Frontier Chapter and the Greater Rochester Chapter of the American Subcontractors Association, joint dinner meeting, 6 p.m., Bohn's Restaurant, 5256 Clinton St., Batavia. Speaker: Michael Misenhimer, Empire State Subcontractors. Cost $30. Reservations, call Jackie Welch, (585) 586-2430.
* Canisius College Accounting Society Banquet, 5:30 p.m., Salvatore's Italian Gardens, 6461 Transit Road, Depew. Speaker: Robert M. Herz, Financial Accounting Standards Board. Tickets, call 888-2870.
Seminars and classes
* The Women's Business Center at Canisius College, free "WIN" counseling session for current and potential small business owners, noon-1 p.m., Demerly Hall, Canisius College, 2365 Main St. Call 888-6650.