Former national security adviser Sandy Berger will plead guilty to taking classified documents from the National Archives, the Justice Department said Thursday.
Berger will enter the plea today in U.S. District Court in Washington, Justice spokesman Bryan Sierra said.
Berger, who served in the Clinton administration, previously acknowledged he removed from the National Archives copies of documents about the government's anti-terror efforts and notes that he took on those documents.
He said he was reviewing the materials to help determine which Clinton administration documents to provide to the independent commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. He called the episode "an honest mistake" and denied criminal wrongdoing.