Share this article

print logo

CALLER'S THREAT TO BUSES BELIEVED TO BE A HOAX

Two city buses were halted and searched Thursday outside Norfolk Naval Station after a caller made a threat, and the Navy later concluded the message was a hoax, authorities said.

The anonymous caller had mentioned a bus and warned authorities, "a lot of people are going to die," authorities had said.

But a sweep of the two buses turned up nothing, police spokesman Chris Amos said, and the Navy labeled the threat a hoax. There were no injuries or arrests, Amos said.

The buses had been diverted to the nearby Fleet Recreational Park, where authorities searched them, said Jennifer Carl, a base spokeswoman. The passengers and drivers were taken off and questioned.

Police erected barricades blocking traffic to the base and cleared a 1,500-foot area around the buses as a precaution.

There are no comments - be the first to comment