Share this article

print logo

GRAND ISLAND FIRE SPURS 18 FAMILIES TO EVACUATE

Eighteen families had to flee from their apartments after a fire apparently sparked by an electrical problem left approximately $500,000 damage to a Grand Island apartment complex Wednesday evening.

Grand Island Fire Company volunteers responded to a 5:39 p.m. alarm at 2240 Center Court South, where they were met by heavy smoke as they evacuated residents during search-and-rescue operations.

Sheridan Park, Kenmore, Kenilworth and City of Tonawanda firefighters provided mutual aid in helping Grand Island volunteers put out the fire, which was declared out at 6:53 p.m.

Grand Island Fire Chief Greg Butcher cited an electrical problem in a first-floor garden apartment as the probable cause. The fire then raced up to the second floor.

No injuries were reported. The Red Cross was called to assist some tenants with emergency housing.

There are no comments - be the first to comment