Harold E. Davis, one of the original claymasters at the Carborundum Museum of Ceramics, died Saturday at his home in the Village of Lewiston after a long illness. He was 84.
A native of Staffordshire, England, he was a master potter by trade.
He and his wife, Annie Lillian, known as Lily, came to the United States in 1973, when he went to work for the Carborundum Co. as a claymaster in the company's museum at Third and Niagara streets. Carborundum had acquired Spode china, and many of the works created by the claymasters were sold in the museum's shop.
After the museum closed just a few years later, he worked for nine years at Buffalo China, where he helped to set up and operate two additional pottery factories, one in Allegany and one in Mexico.
Mr. Davis was an enthusiastic ham radio operator and qualified both in the United Kingdom and the U.S. to the highest standard under call signs G40YA and N2IAK. He donated his radio equipment to the RAWNY radio club for use on the USS Little Rock in Buffalo , and it is regularly used for educational purposes.
He and his wife were members of Harris Squares and Hinkle's Round dance club, formerly Reilly's.
In addition to his wife of 63 years, he is survived by a son, Alan of England; two daughters, Elaine Nicholls of Wheatfield and Glenys Bayley of Lewiston; eight grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
A memorial service will be at 6 p.m. Thursday in New Hope Baptist Church, 1122 Buffalo Ave., Niagara Falls. Mr. Davis donated his body to medical research.