MALVO SPARED EXECUTION IN 2ND OF SNIPER SLAYINGS
SPOTSYL VANIA, VA. (AP) -- Lee Boyd Malvo struck a deal Tuesday in which he avoided the death penalty and was sentenced instead to life in prison without parole for a second of the 10 sniper slayings that terrorized the Washington area in October 2002.
Malvo, 19, is already serving a life sentence for one of the killings.
Tuesday, he was sentenced for the killing of Philadelphia businessman Kenneth Bridges. Malvo entered what is called an Alford plea, in which he admitted that the government has enough evidence to convict him.
Last year, Malvo was convicted but spared the death penalty for the murder of FBI analyst Linda Franklin, who was gunned down in a parking lot outside a Home Depot.
Malvo's lawyers agreed to drop all appeals connected to the Franklin killing as part of the deal covering the Bridges slaying.
Still, Malvo could face the death penalty elsewhere in Virginia, as well as in Alabama and Louisiana. His partner in crime, John Allen Muhammad, was sentenced to death.
NEW TECHNOLOGY PROMPTS CHARGE IN 1989 SLAYING
STARKE, FLA. (AP) -- Police charged a man with murdering a 12-year-old girl in 1989 after using new technology to re-examine DNA evidence and ballistics results from the crime scene 15 years ago.
Michael C. Knickerbocker, 39, was charged Monday with first-degree murder in the slaying of Meghan Renee Renaud of Bradford County, prosecutors and investigators said. He was long considered a suspect, authorities said, and already is serving a life sentence for raping two women.
Renaud was found shot in the head in woods near her north Florida home four days after she disappeared in March 1989. Knickerbocker had been released from prison several months before and was living in the same subdivision.
A few months ago, State Attorney Bill Cervone said his staff asked to re-examine evidence from the scene using new technology. When the results came back in mid-October, the case was sent to the grand jury.
Cervone said he intends to seek the death penalty.
NANTUCKET MURDER CASE IS ITS FIRST IN 20 YEARS
NANTUCKET, MASS. (AP) -- A woman was found stabbed to death and a man she briefly dated was arrested in what investigators said was the first murder on this island in more than 20 years.
Elizabeth Lochtefeld, 44, was found by police in her home Monday after a concerned neighbor contacted her family.
Hours later, Thomas Toolan, 37, was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving in Hopkinton, R.I., after taking a flight to the mainland.
He was being held Tuesday in Rhode Island and will be brought to Massachusetts to face murder charges, District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said.
Lochtefeld's family members told the Boston Herald that she had broken up with Toolan in New York City earlier in the week and that she had told Nantucket police she feared for her life.