Four suburban fire companies battled a fire late Tuesday at the Strippit plant in Akron, authorities said.
Damage was estimated at $20,000 to the building and $10,000 to the contents.
Fire officials said they suspect a heat treatment system malfunctioned and caused the blaze.
The fire broke out at about 9:15 p.m. at the plant at 12975 Clarence Center Road. Firefighters reported heavy fire conditions upon arrival.
Firefighters from Akron, Newstead, Clarence and Clarence Center fought the blaze as Wolcottsville and Harris Hill companies remained on standby.
One firefighter was transported by Rural/Metro Medical Services to Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital in Amherst for observation after experiencing chest pains, authorities said.
Strippit manufactures machine tools for sheet-metal fabrication, according to the company's Web site.