Share this article

print logo


Falisha Mingnion Madera, who is diagnosed with schizophrenia, forgot to take her psychotropic medication Saturday morning.

Later that night, the 25-year-old mother said "voices" told her to stab to death her 9-year-old daughter, Kayla, so she could send the little girl "to heaven."

In a statement to police, the mother said she stabbed Kayla in the chest with a foot-long butcher knife. The attack occurred in the bedroom of their 98th Street apartment.

"I stabbed her five times," the mother said. "She was screaming. She had her arms up and was just waving them. Then her arms stopped."

Madera, who was charged with second-degree murder, pleaded not guilty to the charge Monday before City Judge Robert M. Restaino. She is in Niagara County Jail in lieu of $250,000 bail and will return to court Friday for a preliminary hearing.

Madera told Detective Celestine Booze what happened Saturday night and signed a statement that included the details.

Madera said she "forgot" to take her Zyprexa, a psychotropic drug for those diagnosed with schizophrenia, which she had been taking for four years while under the supervision of psychiatrists.

At about 5 p.m., she heard voices.

"I heard a voice telling me to kill my daughter because I didn't want her to suffer anymore," she said in the the statement. "She was suffering from seeing me suffer from schizophrenia . . . I was losing weight and had a mental disorder.

"Kayla was in the living room watching TV, and I was in the bedroom. At around 9 p.m. I went into the kitchen and got the butcher knife . . . and went back to the bedroom. I told Kayla to come here and she came into the bedroom . . . She was lying on the floor because the TV was on and I just stabbed her in the chest."

Then, she put the knife down beside her daughter.

Madera said she changed her clothing and washed her hands, which were wet with her daughter's blood, in the kitchen sink. Then, she called her mother on her cell phone: "You got to get here now. . . . I sat outside the apartment and waited for the police to come."

Officers Jay Fisher Jr. and Richard Bailey were dispatched after Madera's mother, Karen Cassata, called police from the Rochester area.

The officers said she told them: "I just killed my daughter. She's upstairs. I stabbed her . . . I didn't want her to suffer on earth."

Kayla died from strangulation and multiple stab wounds to the lung and heart, according to preliminary findings from an autopsy conducted Monday morning at the Erie County Morgue.


There are no comments - be the first to comment