Share this article

print logo


One westbound lane of Interstate 80 was reopened Sunday after crews spent the night removing debris from a fatal crash that caused a bridge to collapse on the nation's busiest highway.

Half of the collapsed overpass had been removed by morning.

"Things are moving faster that we thought," said Chris Peterson, spokesman for Gov. Mike Johanns.

The bridge collapsed Friday night after a tractor-trailer slammed into its center support column. The driver, 47-year-old Douglas W. Lohmeyer of Blue Springs, was killed.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation.

Bomb-sniffing dogs form
Yale graduation backdrop

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Uniformed police officers with bomb-sniffing dogs were stationed around campus Sunday as Yale University began its two-day commencement celebration less than a week after a bomb exploded in the university's law school.

As security officers searched bags, students said they had few worries about safety and were determined not to let the still unsolved explosion spoil the weekend.

In a baccalaureate address, Yale President Richard C. Levin told graduating seniors that the bomb explosion Wednesday and other events, such as the war in Iraq and the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, should remind them of the uncertain world they face.

"Yale has prepared you well, but you will need all the intelligence and wisdom you can muster. You can, you must, and you will rise to meet the challenges of these uncertain and revolutionary times," Levin said.

The office of the United States attorney said Sunday that the investigation into the bombing was continuing. The explosion damaged an unoccupied classroom and adjacent alumni lounge but caused no injuries.

Sailor returning from Iraq
falls from ship; search ends

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- A sailor returning from the war in Iraq fell from his ship into the Atlantic Ocean about 900 miles off the Virginia coast and was presumed dead, military officials said Sunday.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Dwayne Williams, 23, of Philadelphia, was chasing a football on the deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Nassau when he tripped and fell overboard Friday, the ship's captain said.

Cmdr. Ernest Duplessis, a spokesman for the Navy's 2nd Fleet, confirmed Sunday that the Navy had ended its search and that Williams' body had not been recovered.

Capt. Russell Tjepkema of the Nassau said Williams was wearing coveralls and boots, which would have weighed him down, and did not have a life jacket when he fell.

Girl's body found after fire,
explosions destroy home

MOULTONBOROUGH, N.H. (AP) -- Investigators found the body of a young girl Sunday after a series of explosions destroyed a three-story house, jolting a lakeside neighborhood and injuring six family members.

Authorities said Sunday that the fire was started by propane gas and that the home's propane tank had ruptured.

Investigators were working to find out if the tank was involved in the initial blast or was damaged and exploded afterward, fire marshal's investigator William Clark said.

Neighbors along Lake Winnipesaukee said the house was engulfed in flames after the first explosion, which was followed by one involving the propane tank in front of the home. A gas grill appeared to have caused a third, smaller explosion, neighbors said.

5 bodies found after man
in standoff surrenders

MAYPORT, Fla. (AP) -- Five people were found dead inside a home early Sunday after a SWAT team captured a man who had held police at bay in a 12-hour standoff.

The bodies were in different stages of decomposition in various rooms of the home, said Jacksonville Sheriff Nat Glover.

It was not clear how long they had been dead, how they died or who they were, he said. Police had no further details later Sunday.

Williams Wells, 27, surrendered shortly after midnight after police officers persuaded him to release his 4-year-old son, authorities said. The boy was unharmed.

Police had been called to the home Saturday afternoon but backed away when Wells threatened suicide. Lt. David Coffman talked to him on the phone during the standoff, and police used a remote-control robot to deliver a pizza, soda and electronics to the home.

There are no comments - be the first to comment