Share this article

print logo


A man was treated for burns to his arm after he tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out an electrical blaze this morning at his home at 456 Fargo Ave.

Paramedics treated the man at the scene. Red Cross officials later assisted the man, four other adults and three children.

Fire investigator Brian Martinez said the blaze started at 3:25 a.m. and quickly engulfed the 2 1/2 -story home.

"Too many things were plugged into the same outlet," said Martinez, who is investigating with Investigator Ken Skinner. "The extention cord overheated."

Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the building and $20,000 to the contents. Homes at 454 and 458 Fargo sustained about $1,000 damage each.

In a second blaze, arson is being blamed for gutting a house on Amherst Street.

Fire officials said an emergency demolition has been requested at 95 Amherst after a blaze ripped through the 2 1/2 -story building at 3:30 a.m. Damage was estimated by officials at $50,000 to the building and $15,000 to the contents. No injuries were reported.

Driver, 17, faces long list
of charges after chase

A 17-year-old was arrested on 11 charges after police said he led them on a high-speed car and foot chase Sunday night.

Devven L. Fletcher, of Oakmont Avenue, was charged with criminal mischief, criminal possession of stolen property, reckless endangerment, possession of burglar's tools, resisting arrest, unauthorized use of a vehicle, obstructing governmental administration and four traffic violations -- blinding headlights, failure to yield the right of way for emergency vehicles, reckless driving and driving without a license.

Northeast District police officers said they spotted a car driving with its high beams on at 10:20 p.m. and tried to pull it over, but the driver fled, failing to stop at several intersections. Officers said the vehicle drove through a red light at East Delavan Avenue and Schuele Street and drove over several sidewalks, almost striking several pedestrians.

Police said the driver leapt from the vehicle while it was moving, and it jumped the curb and crashed into a residential fence in the 300 block of Wyoming Street. Fletcher was arrested by Officers Ronald Ammerman and Wendy Collier after a brief struggle.

Burglar steals $15,000
from bar on Franklin St.

A burglar broke into The Basement bar on Franklin Street and stole about $15,000 from a locked closet, police said.

Central District police said the upstairs window of 218 Franklin was smashed sometime between 7 a.m. Sunday and 12:30 a.m. today.

Woman accused of rampage
in ex-boyfriend's home

A Gibson Street woman was arrested this morning after police said she broke into her former boyfriend's house, dumped paint on the floor, cut his cable wires and chased him with a butcher knife.

Debra Y. Ham, 46, was charged with assault with intent to cause physical injury, burglary, criminal mischief and criminal possession of a weapon.

Ferry-Fillmore police said Ham broke through the door of the man's apartment in the 100 block of Gibson Street just after midnight, tried to stab him and chased him out of his home.

Lt. Mark Michalek recovered a knife at the scene, and Officers Steven Sierk and John Messina arrested the woman at the scene.

Prisoner at Wende accused
of attacking four guards

Three corrections officers and one sergeant at Wende Correctional Facility were injured Saturday when attacked by a baton-wielding prisoner, union officials said.

Authorities of the New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association said inmate Allan Green, 39, was outside for a recreational period when he grabbed a baton from one of the officers and began striking them.

The sergeant suffered the most serious injury, a blow across the face and top of his head. All four were treated in Erie County Medical Center, then released.

Green currently is in the secure special housing unit at Wende and faces internal disciplinary charges through the Department of Correctional Services. Grant R. Marin, regional vice president of the union, said an internal investigation will determine if criminal charges will be filed.

House gutted by fire
on Walden to be razed

Emergency demolition was ordered for a house that was gutted by a blaze Sunday morning, fire officials said.

Authorities said a blaze broke out at 306 Walden Ave. at 9:44, quickly spread throughout the 2 1/2 -story building and caused an estimated $40,000 to the building and $5,000 to the contents.

Officials said the fire also caused exposure damage to 302 Walden Ave., with about $10,000 damage to the building and $5,000 to the contents.

Boy, 14, attacked, injured
by four teens in playground

Four teenagers were arrested Sunday and charged with attacking a 14-year-old boy on the playground of the Langfield projects.

The boy was on the playground at 2 p.m. when the four surrounded him and repeatedly punched and kicked him in the head and face. Police said the four also broke the front window of the boy's apartment on Langfield Avenue.

Officers Brian Britzzalaro and Craig Palladino of the Municipal Housing Authority police said the victim had a box cutter and used it to defend himself, injuring one of the suspects. The four were charged with assault and criminal mischief.

Their names were not released because they are all younger than 18, police said.

Youth, 17, arrested in chase
involving a stolen car

A 17-year-old youth in a stolen car led police on a chase down city streets and sidewalks early Sunday morning, Fillmore District officers reported.

Brandon Robertson, of B Street, was arrested in a parking lot on Broadway near Memorial Drive and charged with felony possession of stolen property, felony reckless endangerment, obstructing government administration, resisting arrest and reckless driving without a license.

Officers Mark Padillo and Tom Starkey said they first saw Robertson on High Street, driving a Pontiac Bonneville that had been stolen on Ashland Avenue on Saturday night. They reported that Robertson "attempted to ram police officers multiple times and drove over several sidewalks, almost striking three pedestrians."

There are no comments - be the first to comment