Martin J. Zimmer, the owner of Marty's Exxon, died Sunday (Nov. 17, 2002) in Lockport Memorial Hospital. He was 83.
Zimmer was born in the Black Rock section of Buffalo and attended St. Frances Xavier School and St. Mary's School in Swormville.
He entered the Army in 1942 and served in the 611th Ordnance Battalion, Tanker Division. He landed in the second wave at Omaha Beach on D-Day and was recently awarded the Jubilee of Liberty Award from France for his participation in the Invasion of Normandy. While serving in the war, he still found time to play his bass violin and sing with a band.
He had managed Reid's Drive-In and several Lockport area service stations. He owned and operated Marty's Exxon for 20 years at the corner of Transit Road and Walnut Street, retiring in 1980.
Zimmer was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and was a member and past grand knight and faithful navigator of the Fourth-Degree Assembly of Council 319, Knights of Columbus.
He was also a member of Aerie 825, Fraternal Order of Eagles; Lodge 40, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and the Niagara County Golf Course.
He played baseball in the Tavern League and bowled in the Tavern League and the Knights of Columbus League.
He also enjoyed professional baseball and football and loved cooking and gardening.
Surviving are his wife of 56 years, the former Mary M. Finn; a daughter, Marsha of Lockport; a son, Martin of Lockport; and three grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Thursday in St. John the Baptist Church, 168 Chestnut St., with prayers at 9:30 in Prudden & Kandt Funeral Home, 242 Genesee St. Burial will be in Cold Spring Cemetery.