Peter Meindl of Orchard Park set a course record Saturday while running away with the ECIC I race at the ECIC Cross Country Championships at Alden. Meindl ran a 15:23.2 to break his own record from last year by three seconds.
Ryan Mikrut of Amherst won the ECIC II race in 16:51.1 while Dan Field of East Aurora took ECIC III in 16:10.1.
The girls winners were: Kate Kohout of Clarence (ECIC I/19:01.8), Lauren Truesdell of Williamville South (ECIC II/19:49.1) and Molly Clauss of East Aurora (ECIC III/19:06.8).
Kenmore West defended its Niagara Frontier League title while Sam Pacoraro of Lockport (16:46) took medalists honors at Beaver Island. Lockport won the girls title led by medalist Nicole Bondonna (20:32).
The Starpoint boys and girls swept team titles of the Niagara-Orleans League meet at Lakeside Beach State Park. Brandon Molisani of Newfane won the boys race in 16:56 while Angela Kudla of Starpoint won the girls in 19:04.
St. Joe's won the 18-team Lloyd Greenman Invitational in Binghamton. The top finisher for the Marauders was John Beyer, who placed third over the 2.85-mile course in 16:12.
Msgr. Martin Football
St. Francis 52, Central Academy 6: Mike Radon threw for 326 yards to give him the WNY single season passing record of 2,114 yards. The previous record was 2,094 yards held by Randell Secky of Maple Grove (1998).
Kyle Smith had seven catches giving him single season WNY record 116 receptions. Radon threw four TD passes and rushed for two others against the vistors from Pennsylvania.
Timon/St. Jude 20, St. Joe's 6: Fran Snyder threw for 172 yards and accounted for two scores as the Tigers won their league AA opener. Nick Parisi had two interceptions and 10 tackles. St. Joe's falls to 1-7, 0-1.
After a scoreless first quarter, Ron Sokolowski scored for the Tigers on a 2-yard run. Rashon Higgins caught an 8-yard pass from Snyder to increase the lead to 14-0 at the half. Snyder's 10-yard run made it 20-0. St. Joe's scored in the third quarter when Ken Betts caught a 39-yard pass from Andy Terranova.
Turner/Carroll 16, Niagara Catholic 6: Corey Graham had 111 yards rushing and 12 tackles to lead the Chargers. Graham and Roland Hayes scored on the ground for Turner/Carroll. Vince Bevilacqua scored for the Big Red in the third quarter.
St. Mary's 54, Nichols 0: Dan Lopez scored three rushing TDs as the Lancers (6-2, 3-0) dominated the Big Green. Ed Grzybowski had two TDs and passed for another as the Lancers jumped out to a 27-0 lead.
Class A quarterfinals: Kevin Rader scored twice, Chris Martello had three assists and Keith Call had 10 saves as sixth-seeded Grand Island upended third-seeded Lancaster, 3-0. . . . Mike Farrell scored a hat trick as defending champion Kenmore East beat Jamestown, 6-2. . . . Matt Stedman scored three times and Wade Andes had seven saves in Lockport's 8-0 rout of Sweet Home. . . . Matt Richards, Joe Silvestrini and Zach Kneeland scored in Clarence's 3-1 defeat of West Seneca East.
Class B-1 semifinals: Scott Marshall's goal with 1:30 left in the second overtime and Scott Augustine's 11 saves gave top-ranked large school Williamsville East a 1-0 win over Amherst. . . . Ryan Stanton had three goals as Iroquois (14-4-1) led beat Albion, 4-0.
Class B-2 semifinals: Andrew Lesch-Rage scored all three goals while Mike McNaughton notched his ninth shutout of the season as No. 1 small school Fredonia (18-0) topped Roy-Hart, 3-0. . . . Seth Calleri, Jeff Cluckey and Taylor May scored for East Aurora (17-3) in a 3-1 win over Lackawanna.
Class C quarterfinals: Todd Buchanan and Kyle Stetz had the goals while Chris Bridenbaker had eight saves as Allegany-Limestone (11-9) upset top-seeded and defending champion City Honors, 2-0. . . . P.J. Karlstrom scored the game-winner as Silver Creek beat Panama, 3-2. . . . Chris Sam and David White scored for Westfield in a 2-1 defeat of Portville. . . . Rob Tower had three goals as Wilson routed Maple Grove, 8-2.
Class D semifinals: Andy Frano's four goals gave him 40 this year as North Collins beat Brocton, 9-0.
IAC Championship: Nathan Tubbs scored the game-winning goal with 25 minutes left as West Seneca Christian edged Christian Central, 2-1.
Msgr. Martin quarterfinals: Kara Damon and Molly Fitzpatrick in Mount Mercy's 2-0 shutout of Sacred Heart. . . . Betsy Measer, Caitlin Pacer, Kate Samson and Amy McCuenin scored in Holy Angels' 4-0 victory over Buffalo Seminary. . . . Jennifer Bauer scored three goals as Nardin (16-0) beat Villa Maria, 8-0.
IAC Championship: Julie Gordon, Allison Scanlon and Amy Twardowski scored in a shootout as West Seneca Christian nipped Park, 1-0.
1) Lancaster (7-1)-- lost to Depew, 21-20. Next: vs. Jamestown
2) Orchard Park (7-1)-- beat Frontier, 21-6. Next: vs. Clarence
3) Grand Island (7-1)-- beat Lake Shore, 13-0. Next: vs. Iroquois
4) St. Francis (6-2)-- beat Central Academy (Ohio), 52-6. Next: vs. St. Joe's
5) Jamestown (5-3)-- lost to Clarence, 18-15. Next: at Lancaster
6) Clarence (6-2)-- beat Jamestown, 18-15. Next: at Orchard Park
7) Sweet Home (6-2)-- beat Amherst, 27-14. Next: at Pioneer
8) Kenmore East (5-3)-- lost to Kenmore West, 28-7. Next: Class AA bowl game
9) Iroquois (6-2)-- beat Lew-Port, 27-6. Next: at Grand Island
10) Pioneer (6-2)-- beat Niagara-Wheatfield, 28-12. Next: vs. Sweet Home
1) Salamanca (8-0)-- beat Allegany-Limestone 26-6. Next: vs. Cleveland Hill
2) Albion (8-0)-- beat Medina, 40-8. Next: vs. Southwestern
3) Eden (8-0)-- beat Cleveland Hill, 19-14. Next: vs. Portville
4) Depew (7-1)-- beat Lancaster, 21-20. Next: at Olean
5) Springville (6-2)-- lost to Southwestern, 20-0. Next: Class B bowl playoff
6) Southwestern (7-1)-- beat Springville, 20-0. Next: at Albion
7) Clymer (8-0)-- beat Brocton, 52-0. Next: vs. Randolph
8) Cheektowaga (6-2)-- beat Maryvale, 20-12. Next: Class B bowl playoff
9) Burgard (7-0)-- beat South Park, 20-18 (OT). Next: vs. Seneca
10) Olean (6-2)-- beat Alden, 21-20. Next: vs. Depew
Clarence (6-2, 5-2) at Orchard Park (7-1, 6-1)
Jamestown (5-3, 4-3) at Lancaster (7-1, 6-1)
Sweet Home (6-2, 5-1) at Pioneer (6-2, 6-0)
Iroquois (6-2, 4-2) at Grand Island (7-1, 6-0)
Southwestern (6-2, 5-2) at Albion (8-0, 7-0)
Depew (7-1, 6-1) at Olean (6-2, 6-1)
Cleveland Hill (5-3, 5-1) at Salamanca (8-0, 6-0)
Portville (7-1, 5-1) at Eden (8-0, 6-0)
Randolph (6-2, 5-1) at Clymer (8-0, 6-0)
Maple Grove (6-2, 5-1) at Ellicottville (7-1, 6-0)
Times and dates to be determined today