Share this article

print logo


A 68-year-old Timon Street man was stabbed in the upper chest after answering the front door of his home Monday afternoon, and police are looking for a woman in the attack.

Eugene Cole was listed in good condition today in Erie County Medical Center following the assault, which occurred at about 3:10 p.m.

Ferry-Fillmore District police said the woman, identified in police reports as a possible psychiatric outpatient, pulled a knife from a bag before stabbing Cole. She fled after the attack.

Manslaughter conviction
returned in fatal stabbing

Raymond D. Pearsall was convicted of first-degree manslaughter Monday in the stabbing death his cousin outside the victim's Beverly Road home last March.

The verdict follows a two-day nonjury trial in which the defendant was acquitted of second-degree murder. Pearsall, 31, called the steak-knife stabbing of his cousin, Richard Olds, 31, accidental. He said he always carried a steak knife for self-defense as a street-level drug dealer.

Acting State Supreme Court Justice Joseph P. McCarthy found Pearsall guilty of deliberately stabbing his cousin. He based the verdict on the testimony of three men and a woman who witnessed some of the argument outside Olds' home at about 3 a.m. March 11.

The witnesses, all in their late 20s or 30s, testified Pearsall stabbed Olds after they broke up the fight between the cousins.

Prosecutor Walter L. Rooth III said he will urge Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark to seek the maximum 25-year prison term.

Pearsall testified the stabbing occurred accidentally, while trying to keep his cousin from hitting him. He will be sentenced Dec. 4.

Monroe Avenue man faces
burglary, robbery charges

A Monroe Avenue man accused of entering a Keystone Street man's home and robbing him late Monday was apprehended at 11 p.m. by Ferry-Fillmore District police officers.

Damond A. Braswell, 23, was charged with robbery and burglary after he and two others entered Stanley Williams' home on the 200 block of Keystone, pointed a gun at his head and took his wallet containing $400, according to arresting Officers Patrick Baggott and Anthony Porzio.

Braswell was arrested in his residence.

Alice Ave. resident charged
with firing gun at man

An Alice Avenue man was arrested on Bailey Avenue early today after a gun was fired at a Berwyn Avenue man, police said.

Darrell Jones, 33, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon. Police said he shot in the direction of Ray Moore, 19, of the 100 block of Berwyn. Moore was not injured.

Cheektowaga man charged
with DWI on Bailey Avenue

A Cheektowaga man was arrested late Monday on a charge of driving while intoxicated after Buffalo police stopped his car on the 2400 block of Bailey Avenue.

Levelzo Lyles Jr., 58, of Kenville Road, refused to take a roadside sobriety test after Northeast District Officers Mark Donovan and Randall Ammerman found a bottle of vodka on his front seat, police said.

Lyles, the officers said, has a 1993 conviction for driving while intoxicated. A Breathalyzer test determined his blood alcohol content was 0.17 percent, police said.

Chain-reaction collision
injures four in Wheatfield

WHEATFIELD -- A car that police said was speeding slammed into a line of vehicles stopped for a red light Monday afternoon, triggering a chain-reaction pileup that sent four people to area hospitals.

Police said a car driven by Cornelia Stover, 54, of Buffalo, was northbound on Niagara Falls Boulevard "at a high rate of speed" and the driver apparently did not see four cars stopped at Ward Road and struck the rear vehicle, sending it careening into the others.

Stover, who had to be extricated from her car, was transported by Mercy Flight to Erie County Medical Center, Niagara County Sheriff's Deputy Patrick Needle said. She remained in serious condition today.

Others were treated for minor injuries in area hospitals, then released.

The accident occurred shortly after noon on a section of the boulevard that curves just before the intersection.

Police have a suspect
in fatal Dunkirk stabbing

DUNKIRK -- Police said an arrest is pending in the case of a weekend stabbing that left a woman dead.

Carmen Feliciano, 33, of Lincoln Avenue, died in Brooks Memorial Hospital after the assault in her home.

Police answered a call of a violent assault in progress at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday. When officers arrived at the home, they found Feliciano and a man, whose name was withheld by police, suffering from multiple stab wounds.

The man was airlifted from Brooks to Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo, for additional treatment. His injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Police said early Monday afternoon that they have a suspect and their investigation continues. Further information was not available late Monday night.

Trouble in cellblock quelled
at Thorold detention center

THOROLD, Ont. -- Two police agencies and an emergency services crew were called in to quell a disturbance that broke out in a cellblock in the Niagara Detention Centre on Monday night. No injuries were reported.

Niagara Regional Police, Ontario Provincial Police and Niagara Emergency Medical Service personnel were called to the facility at 9:55 p.m. Police set up a perimeter outside the center.

The facility's Crisis Intervention Team was called in, and 50 prisoners in the area where the disturbance broke out were returned to their cells. The facility remained locked down this morning.

Minor damage was reported, after some articles of clothing were set on fire. Emergency crews left the center shortly after midnight.

There are no comments - be the first to comment