Share this article

print logo


The victim of an assault last weekend in Buffalo has died, it was confirmed Friday.

Edward Clemons, 58, died Thursday afternoon in Buffalo General Hospital, several days after he was found unconscious in his B Street home.

According to Central District East police reports, Clemons' wife reported that he had been assaulted late last Friday or early Saturday. He fell asleep at about noon Saturday and didn't regain consciousness. After he was taken to the hospital, tests indicated brain injuries, reports state.

Woman gets 12 years for killing lover

A Buffalo woman Friday was sentenced to 12 years in prison for the fatal stabbing of her lover 10 months ago.

Cheryl D. Conover, 40, apologized to the wife of her victim, Lafair Jones, 46, before being sentenced by State Supreme Court Justice Joseph S. Forma. The judge noted that Jones' relatives, including his wife, Clarissa Gary, agreed with the first-degree manslaughter plea Conover made on Aug. 22 in the murder case.

Conover has been jailed since her arrest in Jones' apartment at 497 Perry St. shortly after she stabbed him in the chest with one of his kitchen knives as they argued early on the afternoon of Dec. 30.

Man charged with drug possession

A false sense of security may have led a West Side man to leave an estimated 4 ounces of crack cocaine out in plain sight in his apartment, Buffalo police said Friday.

That was foiled Thursday night when Narcotics Unit officers, led by Lt. John Eberhart Jr., used a search warrant and a security guard with a key to gain access to the apartment in Maryner Towers.

The drug was found on a kitchen counter, Adymy said.

Moises Morales, 20, who lives in the apartment, was charged with a felony count of first-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and with two misdemeanor counts of criminally using drug paraphernalia.

Two people killed in one-car accident

GROVE -- Two people died Friday afternoon when a car went off the road and flipped several times in the Allegany County town of Grove, State Police said.

The accident occurred shortly after 2 p.m. on County Route 15.

Troopers said a car driven by Barbara A. Burr, 52, of Fillmore, was heading east when it missed a curve in the road. The car went off the road and into a wide ditch, continuing east for several hundred feet before the front end hit the ground.

The car overturned several times, landing on Burr. She and her passenger, Glenn E. Houser Jr., 73, also of Fillmore, were pronounced dead at the scene, troopers said.

Troopers said driver error and unsafe speed are probable causes of the accident.

Threat closes bridge for an hour

The Peace Bridge was shut down for a short time early Friday morning to investigate a possible threat against the border crossing.

Buffalo police notified Peace Bridge officials at 12:25 a.m. about a general tip they received about a possible threat against the Peace Bridge, said Scott Ludtka, U.S. facilities manager at the Peace Bridge Authority.

The bridge was closed for about an hour while authorities checked the bridge, Ludtka said. Nothing suspicious was found. The bridge reopened at about 1:30 a.m.

Walk/run to honor slain officer

A 5-kilometer walk/run to honor the achievements of slain Buffalo Police Officer Charles "Skip" McDougald is set for Nov. 3.

Proceeds from the event will be placed in a scholarship fund at Daemen College. The fund-raiser starts at 10 a.m. on the front lawn of the college, 4380 Main St., Amherst, with a "dash for kids" followed by the main event at 11. For information on registration, call 839-8212.

Villa plans seminar for adult learners

Villa Maria College will hold a free seminar Nov. 7 for adults interested in returning to school.

The 6:30-8 p.m. seminar will be held in the M&T Conference Room in the main building of the college, 240 Pine Ridge Road, Cheektowaga. To make a reservation for the free seminar, "Moving from Desire to Decision," contact the admissions office.

Woman held in Kopp case loses appeal

Jail -- not bail -- is the ruling of a federal appeals court in the case of a New York City abortion protester accused of helping James C. Kopp.

The Second Circuit appeals court in New York City this week refused to allow the release on bail of Loretta C. Marra, a New York City woman who is accused of helping Kopp elude police capture after the 1998 murder of an Amherst abortion provider.

A three-judge panel from the appeals court said it agreed with the legal reasoning of an earlier decision by District Judge Richard J. Arcara, refusing to release Marra on $1 million bail.

Marra, 37, and her husband, Dennis J. Malvasi, 51, are Brooklyn abortion protesters who are accused of helping Kopp elude authorities after the October 1998 sniper murder of Dr. Barnett A. Slepian.

Kopp was captured in March in Dinan, France, and Marra and Malvasi were subsequently charged with sending money to Kopp while he was the subject of a worldwide manhunt.

Marra and Malvasi, who deny any wrongdoing, are being held in local jails, authorities said Friday.

There are no comments - be the first to comment