Share this article

print logo


A 20-year-old man who was brutally beaten by a group of teenagers after refusing to buy them cigarettes was in critical condition Friday after undergoing two emergency brain surgeries.

Steven D. Bailey was hitchhiking across the United States and had been in Syracuse for three days before he was attacked late Wednesday night coming out of a downtown convenience store, Syracuse Police Sgt. Tom Connellan said.

Bailey and two acquaintances walked to the Safe-Way Market, where eight teenagers, male and female, asked the men to buy them cigarettes. Bailey and his friends refused, Connellan said.

The teens began harassing the men when they emerged from the store.

The men started to run, and the teens chased after them for several hundred yards. While the men were trying to escape, Bailey apparently stumbled and the teens descended on him, police said.

Bailey's friends called police, who found the victim unconscious when they arrived moments later.

The suspects likely will face charges of assault, criminal possession of a weapon and attempted murder, he said.

N.Y. City to pay $194,570 for raid on Hells Angels

NEW YORK (Bloomberg) -- Lawyers for the City of New York have agreed to pay $194,570 to members of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club to end a lawsuit over a police raid at the group's Manhattan headquarters, according to court documents.

The money would be split among 14 members of the group who claimed that police illegally broke into private apartments inside the club's headquarters while looking for an assault suspect, according to papers filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. The police lacked a search warrant, the suit alleged.

The settlement is the second time in three years that the city has agreed to pay the Hells Angels to end a federal civil rights lawsuit. In 1999, the city paid $450,000, plus attorney's fees, to settle a similar lawsuit over a 1998 raid at the group's clubhouse on East Third Street in Manhattan's East Village.

The Sept. 10 settlement stemmed from an April 29, 2000, raid by police searching for a man who had beaten a patron at a nearby bar, according to Ronald Kuby, an attorney for the Hells Angels. Without search warrants, officers broke down the doors of more than a dozen private apartments located above the ground floor clubhouse.

Seven residents and a guest were arrested. The residents were later released. The guest, who Kuby said had been sleeping on a couch in the clubhouse area, pleaded guilty to assault.

If someone commits a crime and runs into an apartment building, police "are not allowed to go into (the building) and kick in every door and order people out at gunpoint," Kuby said.

Former county executive is cleared in job scandal

TROY (AP) -- Former Rensselaer County Executive Henry Zwack has been acquitted of perjury charges in connection with an alleged no-show job scandal.

It took a jury about seven hours of deliberation before finding Zwack not guilty. Zwack never took the stand during the trial, which lasted about three weeks.

Zwack was accused of telling the county's personnel director to falsely calculate the wages paid to no-show worker Dirk Van Ort.

Van Ort, the only person to be convicted in the no-show scheme, has admitted filing a false time card, indicating he was on the job when he was actually in Florida, unable to work -- or even to be "on call" for work, which Zwack said was the case.

Zwack, 48, still faces charges of trying to force a civil service employee into giving a second physical fitness test -- and guaranteeing a passing grade -- to a North Greenbush Police Department applicant who was the grandson of North Greenbush Democratic Party Chairman F. James Germano. Germano also has been charged with bribery.

There are no comments - be the first to comment