Share this article

print logo

PLEA REPORTEDLY SOUGHT IN HOSPITAL ATTACK

Federal prosecutors and a defense lawyer are working on a possible plea deal for Samuel M. Bobo, the U.S. Army veteran who was arrested last month after a shooting and stabbing rampage at Buffalo's Veterans Affairs hospital.

Bobo, 39, of LaSalle Avenue, had his preliminary hearing postponed Friday afternoon at federal court. U.S. Magistrate Judge Hugh B. Scott rescheduled the proceeding for Oct. 19.

Bobo is accused of stabbing two men and shooting a third in an Aug. 17 attack at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center on Bailey Avenue. Bobo, an outpatient at the hospital, was arrested by Buffalo police shortly after the attacks.

Police said Bobo was suicidal and had left a note saying that he planned to kill others before his own life was ended. He is detained in the Erie County Holding Center.

Bobo stormed the hospital with a rifle in one hand and a knife in the other, police said. He is accused of shooting a parking lot attendant in the neck, stabbing and shooting a van driver, and stabbing a medical file clerk in the stomach, authorities said.

Several people in the hospital emergency room had to dive out of the way of gunfire. None of the injuries to the victims were life-threatening.

"It could have been much worse, if not for the heroics of some people who struggled with this man," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Richard P. Maigret said.

Scott granted the postponement Friday at the request of Maigret and Bobo's attorney, Kimberly A. Schechter of the federal Public Defender's office.

He indicated that the case may soon be resolved with a guilty plea from Bobo.

Schechter concurred with Maigret but declined to comment on the case.

e-mail: dherbeck@buffnews.com

There are no comments - be the first to comment