Dr. Victor L. Pellicano, 89, a prominent physician who practiced medicine here and in Lewiston for more than half a century, died Thursday (Sept. 20, 2001) in Mount St. Mary's Hospital, Lewiston, after a lengthy illness.
Pellicano, a Niagara Falls native, attended the University of Buffalo, where as an undergraduate in the 1930s, he starred on the basketball team. He then entered UB Medical School and earned his medical degree in 1936.
He then spent a year as an intern and three years as a resident at E.J. Meyer Memorial Hospital.
Pellicano opened a private practice in Niagara Falls in 1940, but shortly thereafter he was called into the U.S. Army. He served five years during World War II and was discharged as a major in 1945.
He then returned to his local practice, which he continued until 1989.
Pellicano was chief of internal medicine at Mount St. Mary's from about 1950 to 1956, when he became chief of the medical staff. He held that post until 1968. He was a member of the hospital's advisory board from 1959 to 1983, and was the medical director of the hospital's substance abuse rehabilitation services from 1989 to 1994, when he retired from medicine.
He was then named a member of the hospital's honorary staff in recognition of his years of service.
Pellicano was admitted to the American Board of Internal Medicine in 1946 and the American College of Physicians the following year. He was also a member of the American Society of Internists and a fellow of England's Royal Society of Medicine.
He became a fellow of the International College of Applied Nutrition in 1974 and the International Academy of Preventive Medicine in 1975.
Pellicano served at various times as president of the Niagara Falls Academy of Medicine, the Niagara County Medical Society, the Western New York Society of Internal Medicine, and the Health Association of Niagara County.
He was chairman of UB's Annual Participating Fund for Medical Education, the board of directors of the United Givers Fund, the Niagara County Community College Nursing Curriculum Advisory Committee, the Western New York Heart Association and the board of directors of the local chapter of the National Conference of Christians and Jews.
He received the Interfaith Award of the Niagara Kodina Lodge 1185, B'nai B'rith, in 1956. The Roaring Twenties Club named him its Man of the Year for 1959. Pellicano received the Centurion Award from the former Century Club in 1963, and the first Special Service Award from the Health Association of Niagara County in 1984.
Survivors include his wife of 63 years, the former Eulalie M. Vincent; two daughters, Vicki Chormann of Niagara Falls and Mary Susan Hughes of Lockport; two sisters, Lucy Human and Yolanda Kothen, both of the Town of Tonawanda; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 11 a.m. Monday in St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Catholic Church, College and Macklem avenues. Burial will be in Cold Spring Cemetery, Lockport.