Share this article

print logo

DR. THEODORE PAPADEMETRIOU, ECMC ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY CHIEF

Dr. Theodore Papademetriou, 71, of Williamsville, retired director of orthopedic surgery at Erie County Medical Center, died Tuesday (Sept. 18, 2001) in Hospice Buffalo, Cheektowaga, after a three-month illness.

Born in Profitis, Salonica, Greece, he attended medical school at Aristotle University of Salonica and graduated with honors. He served for three years in the medical corps of the Greek army and came to the United States on a Fulbright fellowship for graduate studies.

Papademetriou took his residency in general surgery in 1957 at Deaconess Hospital and his residency in orthopedic surgery at Ellis Hospital, Schenectady. He later took a postgraduate fellowship in orthopedic surgery at Albany Medical College. He became a fellow in the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons in 1970.

An attending orthopedic surgeon at ECMC since 1966, he became associate chief of orthopedics in 1970 and clinical director of the hospital's department of orthopedic surgery in 1988 after serving for a year as acting chief of orthopedics. He retired late last year.

He also was an attending surgeon at Buffalo General Hospital and Children's Hospital.

Papademetriou was instrumental in applying and teaching new techniques for internal treatment of bone fractures. He helped found the Hemophilia Center of Western New York. He also pursued an interest in reconstructive surgery for arthritis. He published and lectured extensively.

He joined the University at Buffalo School of Medicine as an assistant professor in 1966 and in 1972 became a clinical associate professor and assistant program director in the university's residency program in orthopedics. He became a clinical professor in 1976 and associate chairman of the department of orthopedic surgery in 1991.

The UB Medical School presented him a commendation for excellence in teaching in 1987. At his retirement in January, the medical school created an award in his name to recognize outstanding commitment to orthopedic education.

He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Erie County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, the New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons, the Western New York Orthopedic Society, the Buffalo Trauma Society, the Buffalo Academy of Medicine, the American Trauma Examiners and the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and its committee of Authors for Written Certifying Examinations.

He also was a member of the American Association of University Professors, the board of directors of the Western New York Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation and the medical advisory board of the Western New York Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America.

He and his wife, the former Patricia D. Argentieri, were married in 1959.

In addition to his wife, survivors include two daughters, Angela Bolton of Kingwood, Texas, and Julie Skinner of Clarence, and six grandchildren.

Services were held today in Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation. Burial was in Elmlawn Cemetery, Town of Tonawanda.

[Anderson].

There are no comments - be the first to comment