Share this article

print logo


A grizzly bear broke a hunter's leg, tore up his ear and ripped gashes in his thigh and shoulder, but the man hobbled to safety after the bear stopped the attack and fled.

"I consider myself to be quite lucky," Dr. Steve Chamberlain said Tuesday.

Chamberlain, 49, an orthopedic surgeon from Medford, Ore., and David Wood of Bozeman were bowhunting for elk Saturday near Big Sky in southwestern Montana.

They were imitating the call of a bull elk in mating season, which apparently attracted the female grizzly. Chamberlain tried to pull his pistol, but the charging bear was too quick.

"You cannot overstate that component," he said. "They're very, very, very fast."

The bear first bit his left calf. "I felt my fibula break. There was no pain. It was like, 'Oh, that's not good,' " he said. The fibula is the thinner of two bones in the lower leg.

Wood let loose with a bear repellent spray. Wind blew most of the pepper spray back in Wood's face, temporarily blinding him, but the bear fled.

The hunters said they didn't know if the spray chased the bear off.

Chamberlain hobbled about two miles to a road. He had been released from a hospital by Wednesday.

Dogs' owner had mocked
victim of deadly attack

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The woman who was mauled to death by two dogs had beenmocked earlier by one of the animals' caretakers as "a timorous little mousy blonde" who "almost has a coronary" at the sight of the animals, a grand jury transcript showed.

The quotations in a letter from Robert Noel were among testimony released Tuesday in the death of Diane Whipple.

Whipple, 33, was attacked by the dogs near her apartment door on Jan. 26. The animals lived down the hall with their caretakers, Noel and his wife, Marjorie Knoller.

Knoller is charged with second-degree murder, and both she and Noel are charged with involuntary manslaughter. Knoller was in the hallway during the entire attack.

Both are in jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

The couple were allegedly keeping the dogs for two prison inmates who are serving life sentences and who have been described as white supremacists.

About two weeks before the attack, Noel wrote the letter about an encounter with Whipple, who at 110 pounds was lighter than either dog.

Officials said the dogs had been trained to guard criminal operations such as drug laboratories.

McDonald's jackpot winner
charged in fiancee's assault

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A formerly homeless day laborer who was designated to receive a $1 million prize at McDonald's this month has been arrested on charges of beating his fiancee.

Patrick Collier, 35, was arrested at his Ormond Beach home on a felony charge of aggravated battery against 29-year-old Sandra Fabian.

According to a police report, Fabian was left bleeding from her mouth and nose, and had a swollen cheek. She was treated at a hospital for head and neck injuries, police said.

Collier went into a McDonald's in Holly Hill on Sept. 1 for a 99-cent breakfast sandwich for Fabian, and was designated as the winner of a $1 million prize in a contest designed to make up for the company's previous Monopoly promotion that ended in scandal. Months before winning the prize, Collier and Fabian were homeless, sleeping on cardboard boxes.

Collier is supposed to get $50,000 each year from McDonald's for the next 20 years. But he won't get anything from first check, due next week, because he owes back child support. Collier was arrested 14 times in central Florida in the past seven years.

There are no comments - be the first to comment