Share this article

print logo

REV. JAMES TUCKER JR., FOUNDED MISSION

Services for the Rev. James Tucker Jr., founder of Prayer Room Store House Mission, will be held at noon Saturday in the mission, 150 E. Ferry St. Burial will be in St. Matthews Cemetery, West Seneca.

Mr. Tucker died Monday (June 25, 2001) after a long illness. He was 65.

Born in Starksville, Miss., the eldest of 15 children, he moved to Batavia in 1957 and worked as manager of Hunt's Food Products.

Over the years, he had many business ventures, operating two cabs; T&T's Fish Market on East Utica Street; Tucker's Restaurant on Broadway; a construction company; a nightclub; and a car wash.

Then, in 1973, Mr. Tucker became a deacon of State Tabernacle Church of God in Christ. Called to evangelism, he then founded the mission on East Ferry and helped establish churches in Batavia, Albion and elsewhere. He also was overseer of God's Tabernacle of Praise and the Full Life Christian Center.

Survivors include his wife, the former Hazel T. Cole; a son, Elder James III of Buffalo; four daughters, Betty Bolden, Bonndie Lee Wysinger, Hazel T. Boyd and Manuwella Kennedy, all of Buffalo; four brothers, Ernest of Hearne, Texas, R.L. of Fort Wayne, Ind., and John and Milton, both of Belle Glade, Fla.; three sisters, Mattie Shaw and Julia Griffin, both of Fort Wayne, and Annie Weaver of Wildwood, Fla.; 32 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

[Cardinale].

There are no comments - be the first to comment