Share this article

print logo

NO PROPOSALS RECEIVED FOR DEVELOPMENT

No proposals for redevelopment of the Richmond Avenue block have been received yet, and none are expected until the last minute Monday, the deadline for their submission.

Mayor Thomas C. Sullivan said after a meeting of the Greater Lockport Development Corp. on Thursday that there will be no further extensions of the deadline. The corporation, which Sullivan heads, had already pushed the deadline for bids back a month.

The city has $1 million in grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to acquire properties on the block along the north bank of the Erie Canal.

No parcels have been acquired, though Corporation Counsel John J. Ottaviano said an offer for one has been accepted and the deal is expected to close next week.

Preservationists have been trying to prevent demolition of the century-old buildings on the block, including one that was the original home of what is now Delphi Harrison Thermal Systems.

However, a Rochester consultant's report last fall called for saving and reusing only some of the buildings.

On other development topics, Sullivan said the corporation will readvertise for its executive director position after a first round of interviews flopped.

"We weren't really satisfied with the candidates we had," the mayor said. The executive director would be expected to act as what Sullivan called "a salesman for the city . . . a real go-getter."

The director will be paid about $35,000 a year and report directly to Sullivan. Besides trying to attract businesses to the city, the official will be asked to compile a property management file for the city over a six-to-12-month period.

Regarding the South Block, Sullivan said development is on hold until the aldermen report on their visions for the downtown vacant lot at a special Aug. 14 meeting.

The mayor said the city is not interested in buying a strip of vacant land on the western edge of the Main Street site. "We don't see it as necessary right now," Sullivan said.

That piece is still owned by Elmer A. Granchelli, who lost title to the rest of the South Block in a lawsuit filed by the city.

There are no comments - be the first to comment