A woman has been charged in the beating death of an elderly man who was attacked last month inside his Linwood Avenue apartment.
Jackie Taylor, 31, of no permanent address, was charged with second-degree murder.
After spending almost a month in the hospital, Robert McCabe, 79, died June 9. His daughter had found him May 12 on the living room floor of his apartment.
McCabe's daughter helped police identify the suspected killer.
Late last month, the daughter was walking near the corner of Hodge Street and Elmwood Avenue when she was approached by a couple who offered to sell her a telephone and an answering machine. She quickly recognized both as her father's property and stalled them while she called police.
She told the couple she needed to get money from a cash machine, and went into Children's Hospital and called police. She then stalled them further by saying she needed to get change for a 10-dollar bill, having them wait while she went into a nearby restaurant.
Police initially charged Taylor and the man with criminal possession of stolen property.
Central District Detectives George Battaglia Jr. and Karyn M. Carney followed up on the case, reviewing security videotapes from the apartment building where McCabe lived. Taylor was visible on the tape, carrying some of McCabe's property, police said.
Casino fined $90,000
for letting minor gamble
NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. -- Casino Niagara's run of bad luck with minors gambling on premises cost it a $90,000 fine Thursday in Niagara Falls Provincial Court.
Lawyers representing the facility entered a guilty plea to a charge of letting a 13-year-old boy gamble.
Security officers spotted the youngster at the casino in May and reported the incident to Ontario Provincial Police assigned to the Ontario Alcohol and Gaming Commission.
It was the second time this year a boy was caught gambling at the casino, which is operated by Falls Management, a private company.
Casino General Manager Jay Meilstrup said steps are being taken to tighten security at the casino's four entrances.
The legal age for gambling in Ontario is 19.
Hertz will pay $3.65 million
to couple that was cut off
Hertz Corp., the world's largest car rental concern, has agreed to pay Richard and Jill Conway of Lancaster $3.65 million for the back and leg injuries they suffered when a Texas man cut them off in front of the Buffalo airport, their attorney said Thursday.
Gerald W. Schaffer Jr. of the Buffalo law firm of Cellino and Barnes said Craig R. Koch, president and chief executive of the Park Ridge, N.J.-based Ford Motor Co. subsidiary, approved the payment just before the start of a trial before State Supreme Court Justice Peter J. Notaro.
At about 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 14, 1996, Conway was driving his wife, then 7 1/2 months' pregnant, to her nursing job at Children's Hospital with their two daughters, both under 6 years old, in the back seat, when a Dallas man veered left on Genesee Street into the airport, cutting off Conways' westbound vehicle.
Mrs. Conway, now in her late 30s, suffered nerve damage in her knees but later gave birth to a healthy baby boy. Neither daughter was injured, but Conway, a home-based financial adviser, suffered back and leg neurological injuries.
Samuel Ray Robinson of Dallas pleaded guilty in Cheektowaga Town Court to failure to yield the right of way and was fined $50 for the $10,000 damage he caused to the Conway vehicle.
Animal shelter truck ruined
by vandals in Lackawanna
Lackawanna's animal-collection truck was heavily damaged by vandals in a weekend break-in at the animal shelter and will have to be replaced, officials say.
Police are awaiting a final report on losses from the foreman of the city's garage, Detective Frank Purifoy said Thursday.
Purifoy said the break-in at the facility on Redden Street occurred last weekend in a building secured by city night watchmen.
Third Ward Councilman Gerald DePasquale said: "There has to be $20,000 damage or more. The dog warden truck is completely shot. We are going to have to get a new one. The entire windshield was smashed. Graffiti was painted all over the outside of the truck. They pulled the dashboard out. They robbed tools on the second floor, I understand."
DePasquale said entry apparently was through a back window, sealed by the intruders with a glass block when they left.
Night watchmen are on duty at the city barns complex from 4 p.m. to midnight and from midnight to 8 a.m., Council President Norman Polanski said.
Angola man faces charges
in fondling of two girls
An Angola man accused of fondling two youngsters was arrested on sexual abuse charges, village police reported Thursday.
The arrest of Jarvis Spruce, 21, of Orchard Avenue, followed a weeklong investigation after a complaint was filed by the children's mother, police said. The woman reported a man entered her apartment about 1:30 a.m. last Friday and fondled her 10- and 13-year-old daughters.
Spruce also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and burglary. After arraignment, he was sent to the Erie County Holding Center in lieu of $5,000 bail.