Share this article

print logo


A construction worker remains hospitalized after he and a co-worker were hit by debris Friday morning when a concrete plank broke through a ceiling at a Canisius College job site.

Brian Morrison was treated in Millard Fillmore Hospital for head and facial injuries and was released; James Harbert was listed in stable condition Friday night in Erie County Medical Center, where he was under observation after suffering a possible concussion, according to project manager Dar Almeter of Paragon Northeast Corp., the general contractor.

Both injured men are employed by Mandon Building Systems of Lancaster, a drywall subcontractor.

Emergency personnel were summoned at about 11:20 a.m. to the site on East Delavan Avenue, where student housing is under construction. Almeter said workers for another subcontractor, Old Castle Precast of Rochester, were on the roof. They were cutting a 14-inch square hole for a heating duct into a 4-foot by 20-foot piece of precast concrete they were installing.

The plank collapsed and crashed through the third floor, and then a section of the plank poked through to the second floor, where the drywallers were working. The injured men were hit by debris from the broken concrete floor, Almeter said.

According to Division Chief Donald McFeely of the Buffalo Fire Department, one worker was removed by stretcher, and an aerial ladder was used to lower a stretcher into the building to retrieve the second.

The work is the first part of a two-phase, $15.5 million project to build student housing at Canisius College. Construction on the three-story townhouses where the accident occurred began last September and is scheduled for completion this July. The second phase calls for two smaller dormitory buildings and is scheduled for completion by summer 2002.

Friday's accident will have no effect on the project, Almeter said. A representative of the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration visited the site Friday and allowed the project to continue, Almeter said.

A spokesman for the local OSHA office could not be reached to comment Friday afternoon.

There are no comments - be the first to comment