Share this article

print logo


Two laborers suffered undisclosed injuries this morning when a portion of a parapet fell on them at the construction site of a dormitory at Canisius College, authorities said.

The accident happened at 11:20 a.m. at East Delavan Avenue and Main Street, where the construction is under way, according to a college employee, who said the injuries to the workers were not considered life-threatening.

The workers were taken by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center and Millard Fillmore Hospital, according to Buffalo fire officials. The names of the injured workers were unavailable.

Arrest of man, 27,
tied to church burglary

A 27-year-old man was arrested after he was found with a computer keyboard that had been stolen in a recent rash of church burglaries, Buffalo police said Thursday.

Nate Myers of Oberlin Street was charged with possession of stolen property. According to Ferry-Fillmore District Detective Noreen Walsh, Myers had a keyboard that was stolen in a break-in Jan. 31 at Ark of Deliverance Church on Sycamore Street.

Lt. Larry Baehre, a department spokesman, said two other churches were burglarized between Jan. 13 and Feb. 1: Word of Life Community Church on Fillmore Avenue and St. Ann's Catholic Church on Broadway.

Mostly electronic items were stolen, according to police reports. A couple of cases of sacramental wine also were stolen from St. Ann's.

Housing police say driver
had mouthful of crack

A Downing Street man said a mouthful when police stopped him early today for a routine traffic stop on Perry Street.

After Luis Aviles, 37, began talking with Housing Authority Officers Judy Long and Adam O'Shei, the officers noticed two packets of crack cocaine fall out of his mouth, police said.

Upon further investigation, the officers found eight more packets of crack in Aviles' mouth and charged him with criminal possession of a controlled substance, according to authorities.

Aviles also was charged with passing a stop sign in the 1:20 a.m. traffic stop.

Arson in hotel storage room
causes $25,000 damage

A fire set in a storage room caused an estimated $25,000 damage Thursday at the Hotel Lafayette, according to Buffalo fire dispatch.

The fire was reported at 1:06 p.m. The cause was arson; the fire was set in a second-floor storage room in the building at 391 Washington St., the dispatcher said.

Damage was mostly from smoke and water.

No injuries were reported.

, Wecker Street man wins
acquittal in slashing case

, A Wecker Street man was acquitted Thursday of charges in the slashing of two distant relatives during a birthday party three years ago.

Michael Cole, 22, who has been jailed since August, hugged his attorney, Paul Gordon Dell, as he was acquitted of assault and weapons charges in the 1998 razor blade attack on Shantae Favors, 23, and her cousin Walter Staples, 18.

Cole testified that Favors and six other women and some men began beating him in a fight that began when he accidentally spilled a drink on Favors. Favors was cut on her arms, Staples on the face.

Dell said Cole faces about another month in custody because he recently pleaded guilty to a weapons charge linked to his arrest in Buffalo in August while he was hiding and trying to avoid trial on charges that carried a prison term of up to 32 years.

Linwood Avenue victims
of shooting still in hospital

A man and woman shot Thursday morning in their Linwood Avenue home remained hospitalized today as Northwest District detectives continued their investigation.

Josephine Perry, 31, was listed in critical condition and Erik Rose, 26, was listed in good condition, both in Millard Fillmore Hospital.

"Homicide Bureau detectives conducted the initial investigation and when it was determined the wounds suffered were not life-threatening, the case was turned over to the district detectives," said Lt. Larry J. Baehre, police spokesman.

Two gunmen reportedly forced their way into the Linwood Avenue apartment and shot Perry in the forehead and Rose in the left thigh and lower right abdomen. The woman's teenage son drove them to the nearby hospital, police said.

The victims told police two gunmen forced their way into the apartment, in the 700 block of Linwood, near West Delavan Avenue, at about 7:30 a.m. One of the intruders was armed with a handgun and the other with a rifle, the victims reported.

Police said interviews conducted with the man and woman provided only sketchy information.

Onetime escapee sentenced
to four years on drug charge

A man who took part in one of the few successful escape from the Erie County Holding Center is on his way to state prison.

Kevin Hatzman, 59, was sentenced this week to four years in prison by Erie County Judge Michael Pietruszka. Hatzman pleaded guilty to a felony drug possession charge for selling cocaine to an undercover police officer in 1999.

He will have to spend at least a year in state prison before he becomes eligible for parole because of a lengthy criminal history, said prosecutor Douglas P. Stiller.

On July 15, 1982, Hatzman and two fellow inmates jumped from a second-story window at the downtown lockup. Hatzman suffered serious leg injuries and was captured within minutes.

Store worker says man used
bogus bills to buy liquor

A Genesee Street liquor store worker told police a regular customer used two counterfeit bills Thursday night to buy $55 worth of alcohol, authorities said.

Ahmed A. Mallahi of Eastside Liquor Store in the 1800 block of Genesee said the man purchased the liquor with bogus $100 and $50 bills, according to Ferry-Fillmore District police, who were continuing to investigate the 10:25 p.m. transaction.

There are no comments - be the first to comment