Share this article

print logo


Man fatally shot on Hewitt Avenue

Buffalo homicide investigators are probing the death of an unidentified man who was gunned down in the middle of the street Saturday night in the 300 block of Hewitt Avenue near Suffolk Street.

The victim, a black man believed to be in his early 20s, died in Erie County Medical Center shortly before 7 p.m. The Erie County medical examiner was scheduled to perform an autopsy, but initial reports indicated the victim was shot at least twice.

Homicide investigators said they interviewed several witnesses Saturday. They also continued to look into reports that one or more individuals were seen running down Hewitt shortly after witnesses reported hearing shots fired at around 6:30 p.m.

Police are not speculating on a motive in the slaying.

Town of Collins man held in knifing

A Town of Collins man faces assault and weapons possession charges in a stabbing on the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation on Saturday.

Jason D. Johns, 22, of Bush Road in Collins, was charged with second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

Cheyenne K. White, 19, of Collins, was stabbed several times during a fight outside the Seneca One-Stop on Route 5, according to Erie County Sheriff's Department investigators. He was treated in Erie County Medical Center and released.

Johns was arrested by Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Kenyon and Detective Art Litzinger following a daylong investigation. Johns is being held in the Erie County Holding Center.

Officials said the investigation is continuing.

Roswell Park building to be imploded

Roswell Park Cancer Institute will implode one of its old buildings, a seven-story structure at Elm and Carlton streets, at 9 a.m. today.

Patients in Roswell Park and nearby neighbors are expected to briefly hear and feel the effects of the blast.

Car salesman kidnapped; two charged

A Batavia-area man is being held in the Genesee County Jail without bail in the kidnapping of a car salesman, state police reported.

Anthony McLemore, 32, faces felony kidnapping, robbery, assault and grand larceny charges.

Police say McLemore told a salesman at the Batavia Auto Center he wanted to test-drive a car about 4 p.m. Friday. The salesman drove McLemore to Elba to get his driver's license, but McLemore robbed him of $40 at gunpoint, then forced him into the trunk of the car, police said.

About two hours later, police said, another person got into the car, and the two took the salesman to Mount Albion Cemetery on Route 31 in the Town of Albion, where they bound his hands and feet, hit him in the head with a tire iron and fled, police said.

The salesman partly freed himself and made his way to Route 31, where a motorist called 911. The salesman was taken to a Batavia hospital for treatment.

Police said McLemore and a passenger, Lonnie Ford III, 29, also of the Batavia area, were arrested about eight hours later, after state police in Geneseo chased the stolen car on Route 36 in the Town of York. About a mile north of Routes 36 and 63, the vehicle stopped and McLemore ran into a field, police said.

Ford was charged with felony criminal possession of stolen property. He was issued a ticket to appear in Batavia City Court on Wednesday. McLemore was arrested after a search and jailed.

Stolen car is found in Lake Erie

WESTFIELD -- A car that had been reported stolen hours earlier in Pennsylvania was recovered Saturday in icy Lake Erie waters off Route 5.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Department said the unoccupied 1990 Lincoln Town Car was found off the Barcelona Pier, also known as the Daniel Reed Pier, its front end buried in the ice. A sheriff's department spokesman said a cement block had apparently been placed on the gas pedal before the vehicle was placed in gear.

The car was discovered at 11:52 a.m. It had been reported stolen earlier in the day by a resident in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Chautauqua law enforcement officials said the car was turned over to Pennsylvania State Police.

Faulty wiring sparks Amherst blaze

Faulty aluminum wiring in an electrical panel box at an Amherst home sparked an early morning blaze Saturday that chased four residents from the home, Main-Transit Fire Department officials reported.

The blaze broke out just before 3 a.m. at the David J. Graff Sr. residence at 34 Harding Road. It caused an estimated $40,000 damage to the 2 1/2 -story home. The fire spread from the basement through a heating duct and into a first-floor bedroom.

None of the four residents was injured, and firefighters rescued three family cats.

There are no comments - be the first to comment