1. A Day Late and a Dollar Short by Terry McMillan (Viking, $25.95). The all-too-real lives of Viola Price and her colorful clan.
2. First Counsel by Brad Meltzer (Warner, $25.95). Murder muddles the tie between a lawyer and the president's daughter.
3. Protect and Defend by Richard North Patterson (Knopf, $26.95). A Supreme Court nominee is tested by a controversial court case.
4. A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown, $25.95). A respected cop becomes
the prime suspect in a puzzling murder.
5. Special Ops by W.E.B. Griffin (Putnam, $25.95). The Green Berets attempt to stop a communist coup in the Congo.
6. Roses Are Red by James Patterson (Little, Brown, $26.95). Alex Cross attempts to thwart a clever and savage bank robber.
7. From the Corner of His Eye by Dean R. Koontz (Bantam Doubleday Dell, $26.95). A murderer hunts for a child prodigy he is certain is after revenge.
8. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver (HarperCollins, $26). Three tales set in an untamed patch of southern Appalachia.
9. Lost and Found by Jayne Ann Krentz (Putnam, $23.95). A suspicious murder and budding romance amid the antique trade.
10. Code to Zero by Ken Follett (Dutton, $26.95). Veteran thriller writer turns in another story of espionage, deceit and betrayal.
1. Body for Life by Bill Phillips and Michael D'Orso (HarperCollins, $25). Ways to improve one's body, one's life.
2. Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom (Doubleday, $21). Newspaperman returns to visit a college professor who is dying.
3. An Hour Before Daylight by Jimmy Carter (Simon & Schuster, $26). Former president shares his memories of a rural boyhood.
4. Maestro: Greenspan's Fed and the American Boom by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, $25). Woodward's examination of Alan Greenspan and the American economy.
5. A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen (Random House, $12.95). Columnist shares her thoughts on a happy life.
6. Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole by Jerri Nielsen (Talk/Miramax, $23.95). While working at the South Pole, a doctor discovers and treats herself for breast cancer.
7. Life Makeovers by Cheryl Richardson (Broadway, $21.95). How to make your life over, one week at a time.
8. Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson (Putnam, $19.95). A guide to making change work for you.
9. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis (Knopf, $26). A look at six crucial events that shaped the founding of our nation.
10. Emotional Alchemy by Tara Bennett-Goleman (Harmony, $24). How to transform emotional confusion into insightful clarity.