Share this article

print logo


Washington headquarters reopens refurbished museum

NEWBURGH (AP) -- In 1782 and 1783, Gen. George Washington finished out the Revolutionary War here, in a fieldstone house owned by the Hasbrouck family.

In 1850, the first American president's headquarters, where he waited for the peace treaty with England to be completed, became the nation's first publicly owned historic site.

On Saturday, the state reopened the museum portion of Washington's headquarters and unveiled a restored, life-size portrait of the general.

To celebrate the reopening -- and in conjunction with President's Day -- this weekend will feature cannon firing, musket drills and other activities of the Continental Army soldiers, plus musical performances and lectures recalling Washington's life in Newburgh.

The museum reopened after a year of rehabilitation of the main galleries, replacement of the floor, addition of facilities accessible to the disabled and the installation of the new exhibit.

3 facing prostitution counts tied to $4,000-an-hour ring

NEW YORK (AP) -- A woman accused of running an Upper East Side call-girl ring that charged up to $4,000 an hour and two women described as employees have been arrested on prostitution charges.

Arianna Uzo Egwu, 30, was arraigned Friday in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of promoting prostitution and money laundering. A Nigerian national, Egwu was jailed without bail pending a hearing Tuesday.

District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said Egwu's business, which operated out of eight East Side apartments, grossed more than $2 million a year.

Egwu used a Web site to promote an "escort" service that provided "upscale gentlemen" with the "most exquisite women in the entire world," Morgenthau said.

Prices for the women, as listed on the site, ranged from about $1,200 to almost $4,000 an hour, and $32,000 for a weekend.

Sitter to get prison term for fatally shaking infant

POUGHKEEPSIE (AP) -- A 51-year-old baby sitter will be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison after admitting she shook an infant to death.

"I didn't consciously do it," Lynn Matthews said Friday in Dutchess County Court.

Judge Gerald V. Hayes accepted Matthews' guilty plea to second-degree manslaughter for vigorously shaking 11-month-old George Lithco III on Nov. 30 while she was watching the baby in her home. The child died Dec. 3 in Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.

After verdict, juror agrees to prospective life sentence

ROCHESTER (AP) -- She said no to one man, then yes to another, all from the jury box in Monroe County Court.

Just minutes after Jessica Breed agreed with her fellow jurors to convict a man of robbery, she became part of a marriage proposal ploy, aided and abetted by the judge.

After the verdict, Judge John J. Connell asked Breed to stay behind to answer a few questions.

"I thought I was in trouble," said Breed, 24, of Webster.

Breed replied to such questions as whether jurors should be reimbursed for parking and lunch. When she turned the page over, just one question remained:

"Will you marry Carl Provenzano?"

At that moment, Provenzano -- who works with a friend of the judge -- walked through the door with the ring and a bouquet of flowers. He dropped to his knee and proposed.

The couple plans to wed next year.

The judge was happy to play his part. "I said: 'No problem. I sentence people to life all the time,' " Connell said.

Neighbor arrested in bid to watch two boys secretly

AMSTERDAM (AP) -- A 42-year-old man who police say rigged a high-tech surveillance system to watch two neighborhood boys in their home has been indicted on burglary, theft, trespassing and eavesdropping charges.

Police said Paul Prill, 42, installed listening equipment to eavesdrop on the 13- and 15-year-old boys and videotaped them from his house.

He was arrested after the neighbor found wires on his property and was told at an electronics store that they were part of a listening device. The neighbor confronted Prill, who fled. Sheriff's deputies eventually coaxed him from under his porch. Police say they found boys' pajamas wrapped around Prill's feet inside his boots.

Police said they don't believe Prill harmed the boys.

Behind Prill's house, police found a bag, sealed with duct tape and containing numerous tapes, a night vision camera, a night vision scope and reproduction equipment for videos.

Prill was being held in county jail on $50,000 bail.

Shot fired at door may net life sentence for Utica man

UTICA (AP) -- A 21-year-old man who fired at the door as police tried to enter his apartment has been convicted of first-degree attempted murder.

Ryan K. Rocker of Utica faces 15 years to life in prison.

Judge Michael L. Dwyer set sentencing for April 3.

The jury deliberated more than five hours Friday before also convicting Rocker of weapons and marijuana charges.

Assistant Public Defender Frederick Ebert, who represented Rocker, said he would appeal.

Police said Rocker was selling marijuana from the apartment when three officers arrived at about 8 p.m. July 26 with a search warrant. Police say they identified themselves, then started to knock down the door.

The single shot that Rocker, who told jurors he thought he was being robbed, fired from a .22-caliber pistol lodged in the doorjamb.

Special prosecutor planned in wounding of officers

ALBANY (AP) -- To remove any appearance of impropriety, a judge will assign a special prosecutor in the case of a man accused of trying to kill two police officers.

Judge Thomas A. Breslin granted a defense motion Friday to remove the Albany County district attorney's office from the case of Tracy Grady because Chief Assistant District Attorney William Carter had represented the accused man in a 1997 assault case.

Carter joined the district attorney's office last month.

Kathryn M. Kase, Grady's lawyer, argued that allowing the district attorney's office to handle the case would be a conflict of interest.

Grady, 34, is accused of shooting Albany Police Officers Thomas Shea and Stanley Nadoraski when they tried to question him about a domestic dispute.

Shea was hit in the shoulder; Nadoraski was hit in the jaw, shoulder and abdomen. Both have recovered.

Grady was arrested in January 2000 in Atlanta, where he fled after the shooting.

There are no comments - be the first to comment