Share this article

print logo


A hot tub brimming with bikini-clad women, a lifeguard stand on a patch of sand and a party tent just beyond the end zone: Pro football returned to Los Angeles on Saturday night, but it obviously wasn't the NFL, it was the XFL.

Former UCLA and NFL quarterback Tommy Maddox threw 65 passes, completing 38 for 412 yards and four touchdowns Saturday night, the last on Los Angeles' second possession of overtime, as the Xtreme won their home debut, 39-32, over Chicago.

A loud, slightly rowdy crowd of 35,813, many of whom wore Raiders' gear, watched as the Xtreme evened their record at 1-1 and the Enforcers fell to 0-2.

After bringing Los Angeles back from a 25-13 deficit with two fourth-quarter scoring drives, Maddox capped his homecoming with a 20-yard scoring pass to Darnell McDonald in the second overtime.

The Enforcers failed to score on their ensuing possession, as Tim Lester's final pass was incomplete in the end zone.

NBC, which co-owns the new league with Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation, lost power to its truck -- a generator ran out of gas -- and missed televising most of the first quarter. The network lost its feed 1:45 into the contest, switched to San Francisco's game at Orlando, then returned to the Enforcers-Xtreme with 4:30 left in the first quarter when the generator was refueled.

In Orlando, the Rage beat the San Francisco Demons, 26-14, on Saturday night before an announced crowd of 25,049, down nearly 11,500 from the first XFL game at the Florida Citrus Bowl.

Jeff Brohm completed 10 of 21 passes for 161 yards and one touchdown to pace Orlando (2-0). Mike Pawlawski was 36 of 52 for 294 yards and two TDs for San Francisco (1-1), which hurt itself with 13 penalties, a fumble that was returned for a touchdown and an end-zone interception.

Falcon shot in leg

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons defensive back Elijah Williams was shot in the leg early Saturday in what police called a robbery attempt.

Williams was outside a bar in a north section of downtown Atlanta about 2 a.m. when he was shot. He was treated at Grady Memorial Hospital and released. Police were still looking for a suspect.

There are no comments - be the first to comment