SILVER CREEK -- A five-year contract between the Village of Silver Creek and the Silver Creek Police Benevolent Association was approved by the Village Board Monday.
Mayor Timothy Heavern said that under the new pact, union members will receive a 2 percent pay increase in the first and second years and a 2.5 percent pay increase the third year. Wages will be open for renegotiation in the fourth and fifth years.
The talks began in mid-January.
"Negotiations went very smooth," Trustee Gerry Zoladz said.
The village also entered into an agreement with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. A holding center will be available for stray dogs and cats 24 hours a day if needed.
Heavern said there will be limitations so residents won't bring in every stray they see.
"If you have a problem, you call our (animal-control officer), and they will take it from there," he said.
New Visitors Center opening today
OLEAN -- The doors of Alcas Corp.'s new Cutco/KA-BAR Visitors Center at 1040 E. State St. will open to the public for the first time from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today.
The new center will provide customer service and retail sales while showcasing the history of both firms spanning 103 years. The company, which in recent years has expanded its manufacturing and marketing complex to incorporate neighboring properties, renovated a structure that began as a fast-food drive-up and most recently housed ASAP Appliance Co.
Alcas Corp. is the parent of Cutco, Vector Marketing, Cutco International and KA-BAR Knives. For information, contact the Visitors Center coordinator at 790-7000 or visit the company's Web site at www.cutco.com.
Blaze sparks a fireplace warning
BUSTI -- Fire Chief Mike Volpe urged residents to be careful when using their fireplaces, noting that chimney fires are up this year.
Firefighters doused a chimney fire Monday at 3320 Busti-Stillwater Road.
"I can remember last year we had one the whole (season), and this year we've responded to four," Volpe said.
He said many people are using their fireplaces more often because of higher heating bills.
Residents should make sure their chimneys are clean of creosote and other material that builds up, Volpe said. He said many homeowners hire chimney sweeps, while others clean the chimneys themselves.
Monday's fire caused minimal damage. No injuries were reported.
Salamanca Council sets special session
SALAMANCA -- The City Council will meet today in special session at 5 p.m. to consider disciplinary action for a unidentified member of the Fire Department.
Mayor Carmen Vecchiarella said the action could mean dismissal, suspension or another sanction.
The Council will act under Article 75 of the Civil Service law, the mayor said.
Salamanca Chamber unveils brochure
SALAMANCA -- The Salamanca Area Chamber of Commerce has unveiled a new brochure promoting the area, focusing on railroads and Indian culture.
The brochure was printed at Randolph Register Graphics through a grant from the Cattaraugus County Tourism Promotion Agency.
"Escape to Historic Salamanca," beckons the front of the brochure, which features a photo of George Heron, a Native American historian and a past president of the Seneca Nation of Indians.
Copies of the brochure are available at the Chamber offices at 26 Main St. They will also be distributed at travel and trade shows.